Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - I just bought my first bike (1980 CM400E) and have been working on getting it road-worthy. I am having trouble diagnosing the turn signals - the left signal works flawlessly, but the right signal will blink once then stay on solid (both front and back).

Does anyone know what would be causing this or have any tips? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Sometimes different bulbs react differently despite them being the same single element type, or if you're using LEDs that's a different story altogether. Others who actually have turn signals on their bikes (I don't) will weigh in with their experiences... but in the meantime, since you're now a member, please take a look at the link below and post an introduction for us so we can get to know you and the bike better to be of better help in the future - thanks.

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23-member-introductions/121120-critical-read-before-posting.html

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Moved to SOHC Electrical section
Swap bulbs left to right and see if the problem moves to the other side. If so then it's the bulbs, if it doesn't move the the flasher is bad
Might replace all the bulbs due to age anyway, 1157 front and 1156 rear

·
Registered
73 Posts
What happens if you disconnect one of the right turn signals? (Try it with both, front and rear). Does the same problem happen?

·
Registered
805 Posts
This happens on my bike when it is not running, but they work normally after it starts up. I don't know if that's actually normal but they seem to work fine

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Could be a bad/dirty/loose connection, maybe as simple as the bulb not making good contact in the socket. I have to fix this problem regularly on my trailer lights.

Welcome to the group.

Don't forget to include pictures in that introduction!:p

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It also could be a bad ground caused by a tiny bit of rust between the bulb socket and turn signal housing. I had this on the left rear of my CM400C and had to take the turn signal lens off, remove the one Phillips screw and shine the rusty bit it up every couple years.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You'll need good schematics when working on the electrics. PM sent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried swapping the bulbs around side to side, and the issue did not change, so I tried swapping the entire front turn signals (wires, housings, and all). The issue swapped sides when I did this, which makes me think it is a grounding/connection issue. The spade connectors in there are decently corroded.

I am going to get in there and try cleaning some terminals to see what happens!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It also could be a bad ground caused by a tiny bit of rust between the bulb socket and turn signal housing. I had this on the left rear of my CM400C and had to take the turn signal lens off, remove the one Phillips screw and shine the rusty bit it up every couple years.
Look at this also please.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had the issue with both blinkers coming on when flipped to blink or turn, both left and right would sit solid, I replaced the blinker relay .... 6.00 at advance auto, 2 prong, relay/ blinker. Now they blink strong and bright.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought I would update the thread as I solved my problem! Or at least I found a workaround. I have been cleaning contacts, swapping bulbs, and checking grounds for some time now and haven't been able to fix the problem. It appears to be an issue of extra resistance somewhere in the system, and rather than rewire the whole bike quite yet, I swapped out the flasher relay for an LED flasher.

The new flasher works independently of the bulbs/resistance in the system and was a drop-in solution, ready for spring! Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts