Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! First time poster here on HondaTwins.

I just bought my first bike on Craigslist the other night - an '81 CM400e. Seemed to be running fine, the PO gave me all of the repair logs up until this point (replaced sparkplugs, Flushed / synced carbs, updated electronics etc.) He says he rode it this past summer and it was running without issue.

Today I turned it on and idled it then revved it to show off the bike to a buddy. Right away, I noticed the bike was leaking oil and there was black sludge/oil sputtering out of the exhaust. (pictured below) Texted the seller pics and he straight away sent them to his mechanic for a diagnostic. In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone could point me towards a starting point to addressing the issue and understand whats going on. I'm completely new to this and am excited to get my hands greasy!

Auto part Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel
Floor Wall Concrete Cement Line

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Doesn't look like oil to me. I believe it's carbon inside the pipe mixed with the normal by product of combustion......water. You need to seal that joint

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I agree with Dan, that's not oil. It's carbon and water from the pipes. Go ride it for 20 miles to clean and dry out the entire exhaust system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts