Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '80 CM400E recently developed an oil leak that progressed quickly from seepage to heavy stream. It appears to be coming from where the oil pressure switch wires go into the right side crankcase cover. Before I go tearing into the thing I'm hoping to get some more-experienced advice. Has anyone ever seen this before? Is it common? Any idea what I will need to replace? All the pictures I have found of the area leave a lot to the imagination.

A little information that may be useful. The bike has had some very minor, not quit located oil leaks since I bought it. Nothing to worry about. Last weekend I replaced the handlebar with a much shorter one. The extra cable length caused some binding and I had to disconnect and re-route the cables, including the clutch cable which attaches just beside the oil pump bump where the current leak is. Once I tried to ride the bike and the clutch wouldn't engage all the way I re-routed the cable. The next day I noticed a bit of oil leaking onto the exhaust when I rode (lots of smoke when I stopped :) ) and a few drips afterward. The next day it became worse and I located it was coming from the area where the wires enter. I had ridden to work and found that in the parking lot. When I started it to go home, there was a steady stream pumping out of that little gap between the wire entry point and the cylinder jug. I don't see any way the clutch cable could have caused that. I didn't disturb anything in that area. But it is the only thing I can think of that might be related. It seems rather odd that it either started just then or suddenly became much worse then.

I intend to tear into it later today. If anyone has any wisdom to pass along on it please do.

Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Just coincidence, I would think. Get a new switch and gasket and have at it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I had never seen how that was put together and the pictures I saw just confused me more. Once I got the cover off I see that it's really simple and pretty much has to be oil coming through the switch. I have one on the way.

In the meantime, I want to ride. It's beautiful weather this weekend after Harvey dumped his last gasps on us all week. Other than not having a working oil pressure indicator, would it hurt anything to plug the hole in the defective switch, reinstall it, and go riding?

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
There's not much pressure there. You could just put the switch back and ride. Just keep an eye on the oil level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts