Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first inline twin I've ever had, so I don't know how much valvetrain noise is "normal" for these bikes. My brother in law has an 82 CB750C which is fairly noisy, but it's not my bike, so I don't worry about it LOL!

I have inspected the lifter clearance with feeler gauges and the exhuast is right at .006" and the intake is at .004" (factory specs). I also set the chain tensioner while it idled by backing out the tensioner bolt, then tightening back up while at idle. I still have a fair amount of noise coming from it, but not like a rod knock or anything. Should I be worried, or just ride it and enjoy it? Anyone in the Grand Rapids, MI area willing to listen to it that knows these bikes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
805 Posts
The balancer chain can also make noises, it'll be coming from the bottom right part of the engine.

The cam tensioner can also be stuck but if the noise changes when you loosen/retighten the bolt its probably working fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your note on the balance chain being in the lower right corner is in the area where I thought I could hear more noise. Is there an adjustment to that chain?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Yes, there is an adjuster behind the round 'cap' on the right engine cover. If it's at the end of it's adjustment, the cover will need to come off to move the arm over a spline. It's all covered in the manual. Apparently you could use one.

PM sent

Reactions: ancientdad
1 - 5 of 5 Posts