Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright ive been surfing this forum off and on for awhile now but this is my first actual post so heres what i got.
I'm looking at upgrading to a larger displacement bike with my tax return and I found what seems to be a fair deal on a 1980 cm400e. I've looked into some reviews and it's seems to be regarded as a really good bike for its size. My biggest concern about buying one is parts availability, it was only made for 3 years. I already have a bike with a similar production history (1982 cm250c) and it's been difficult to find parts for it.
It's not necessarily a deal killer but I this is going to be the vehicle I commute on and hopefully take short road trips on when summer rolls around and I want to know from someone with some experience with these bikes what I'm getting into keeping one on the road.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome, No worries on parts the E is for economy model (spoke wheels,drum brake in front,painted blinkers and may or may not have a center stand. Its the same parts as the the cm400t and the same motor as the cb400t

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The 400 shares a fair amount with the 78-85 400/450 cm and cb.
Your 250 shares with the rebel, I believe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good to hear about the cm400. As for the cm250/rebel compatability I would have thought so too buthaven't really found much to of anything to support the idea. In fact I can't find a hole lot on the cm250 at all I have a Clymer manual that covers a lot of small twins cm250c and rebel included and while the core mechanics of the engine are the same i believe a lot of the ancillary components differ. I know for a fact that the carbs & sprockets aren't the same. Iit may be possible to make a cm250c run with rebel parts but it would take a fair amount of tinkering to get it to work well

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
As note the E model was an economy version, spoke wheels, drum front brake, no tach or center stand (easily cured). Other than that is more or less identical to all the other models using the same parts. While parts availability isn't the best it's still fairly easy to come up with whatever is needed.
The CM250C was the latest derivative of the CM185T not the Rebel although they do share some parts.
PM sent for FSM's on both models

1 - 6 of 6 Posts