Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen a couple questions about mufflers but I haven’t seen this specifically. I am wondering if anyone has experience removing end cap to pack mufflers on 1981 Honda CM400T. It’s a muffler equipped on a few other models, but there are a few different part numbers. Mine are embossed with ‘Sankei 2051’.

For context: I am looking to ceramic coat the stock mufflers rather than change to aftermarket parts. Last year I tried an Eastwood Hi Temp Coating. It looked great but was peeling by end of summer. I want to get something to stick more aggressively. I contacted a shop and sent photos of the muffler units. They want to coat over muffler unit and end cap, sealing it on pretty much permanently (unless I choose to F-up coating for cap removal). I would like the option to remove later in case I need to maintain baffle and packing material. Obvious choice would be to remove end cap and just send them the outer muffler shell.

However end cap seems to be riveted on. I’ll attach photos. I had to look twice to make sure it was not Allen. Definitely NOT Allen. Not torx either. But wondering if they are actually rivets and not some kind of specialty bit shape.

That said, I’m assuming that end cap removal would require rivet removal and replacement. I don’t have any experience with that and I’m wondering what’s inside even if I do. In the end, it may be worth ceramic coating the whole thing if these units are not designed to be repacked.

Any experience or advice appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Those are rivets. I do not believe there is any sort of packing in those mufflers, I think they are just steel chambers that absorb sound waves.
TOOLS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts