Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still tinkering with Kim's 79 CM400 and I'm finding the Clymer manual to be a real pain. There is only one section on setting float height and it doesn't apply to this set of carbs. It deals with the one piece round plastic floats, not the rectangular ones this has that have a metal adjustable tab on them, so the height number is incorrect. On my KLX250S the height was checked with the carb on the bike and a clear hose hooked to the drain line and you would hold the line up to the side of the carb and measure from the float bowl gasket up to the fuel level in the tube and adjust from there.

Does anyone know how I should go about setting the float heights on the CM400 with the adjustable style floats?

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Go to Bill's explaination of how to set 450 carbs.... Make a card/gauge that fits your carb's bowl gasket surface and has a 15.5mm height for the floats (instead of the 20mm 450 setting)...Otherwise, follow his directions.....Your "card' will have two 15.5mm pockets, one on each side of the jet holder areas...(A 450 has only a single float)

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=780&sid=e20a3625506dadf6cf14b10e2edf23f

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the Clymer manual 14.5mm is for the 79 model, the 15.5 is for later models. I'll give this a shot and see where I end up. I think I'll use a syringe as a portable fuel container, 35 cc's of fuel should be enough to see if it is sealing. I'll just pull out the plunger and let it flow. If I read it correctly the fuel should just shut off when the tool contacts the body of the carb? This carb has the spring loaded rubber tipped needle.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Yes, just as it contacts the "flat" of the gasket surface..... My hard-bound Chilton's specifies 15.5 for all the 79 models which might account for the fact your 14.5 setting overflows (floods)......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts