Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying around with the idea of adding some driving/passing lights to my cm400T and I am looking for some input. I like the fact of increased visibility at night, but am also looking for a low key cool factor :cool:. I've been looking around for some ideas but there doesn't seem to be very many people sporting much after market lighting on their cm400's. I have been eying a couple kits for the Rebel on evilbay and have also found a Harley kit that would be ideal, that is if I can get it for the price I want ;).

Anyway, onto the questions. What kind of problems am I going to run into with the alternator? I notice that when I apply the brakes while at idle, the headlight dims. With the addition of more lights, am I going to burn out the alternator? What kind of wattage should I be looking for in the lights?

I came across this guys setup the other day. I really like his setup as it is somewhat low key and would also allow me to keep the stock signals and what not. IDK do you guys think this is cool or stupid, lol? I'm still looking for ideas so if anyone is sporting any extra lights or can direct me to some pics of others who might have a cool setup, I'd appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
As you suspected, alternator output will be your biggest challenge. The alt in these CM's is only 170 watts so anything you add will only hurt. That said, you can create some more overhead by switching out the stock bulbs for LED's. For LED blinkers to work you'll have to change the circuitry a bit since they don't draw enough wattage for the flasher to work. There is at least one thread on here describing the procedure.
You might even get by if you only added LED driving type lights.
BTW I do like the look of the bike from Bucharest. Wonder where the seat and side covers are from?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike! I wouldn't be opposed to LED driving lights, but I'd prefer not to have to convert everything else. I won't eliminate that option if I get desperate though. I did some more checking into things and like you were saying, there isn't much room to play with this. Below is a list of lights and accessories that require power. Not sure of what else I am missing.

• All Electrical
    Headlight 55/35w
    Taillight 8.3w
    License plate 8w
    Turn Signals x2 23w
    Brake Light 26.9w
    Front running lights x2 8.3w
    Instrument Cluster x4 3.4w
    GPS 2.5w
    Engine Power & Charging ?
With everything on and consuming full power it would be roughly 176.9w

I've also made separate lists for my guesstimate of power consumption while doing highway and city driving.

• Highway
    Headlight 55w
    Taillight 8.3w
    License plate 8w
    GPS 2.5w
Figured that on the highway the signals and brake light won't be on much so a total of about 104w.

• City
    Headlight 35w
    Taillight 8.3w
    License plate 8w
    Turn Signals x2 23w
    Brake Light 26.9w
    GPS 2.5w
Total 156.9w

I figure that most of these won't be on at full power at the same time and also some will only be on for short amounts of time. So theoretically this would allow me 20w or so for the driving lights. Does this look somewhat accurate, or am I just trying to justify things a little too much to get it to work? :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fiddled around in PS with a variety of light setups. I've narrowed it down to this setup, now just to decide on 3.5" or 4.5" lights. 3.5" seem to be quite difficult to find with the fluted lens, and I've found some shallow 4.5" lights that might work. For the life of me I couldn't seem to find any shallow 3" lights similar to those in the setup posted above. Now just have to find a 12-14" bar to mount them on. Well....that is if the electrical can get worked out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ya know, that's an awfully nice bike, very clean and probably a keeper, right? If it were me I'd seriously consider taking my time and first get an upgraded high output alternator stator. No, they're not cheap, but for the rest of the bike's lifetime you'd have killer watts. It can also help the way the bike runs overall. Then there's no question of what type of headlight or driving lights or how many watts output & drain on system, just bolt them on!

Then as the years catch up you also have the spare amperage for the heated seat, heated grips, electric massager seat & backrest, a little fridge to keep your drinkies in and the hidden automatic cattle prod in the seat to wake you up when you nod out hah! You can trigger the last one off a mercury switch in your helmet, so when your head starts tilting back too far ya get a 20,000V jolt in the keester and grab another handful!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link Meadus! Those are some very nice lights, but not quite the style I am looking for and way out of my price range.

XLerate, yes this bike is definitely a keeper, out of curiosity where might one look to find a high output alternator? For the time being, I might be content with some LED's or low watt lights, but it would be nice to look into improving the alternator. Some of those features you mentioned would be great, except for the shocker, I'm afraid I would trigger it on accident while enjoying the scenery as I ride. LOL

Anyone know where to find some decent priced 3 1/2"-4" lights? I found some shallow 4 1/2" lights for $23 that I thought would work, but unfortunately the dimensions taken from the lights are of just the glass lens, the housing adds another 1/4-1/2" and makes them too big. Everything else I find comes in a kit and seems way overpriced. :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just picked up a 84 CB450sc and it came with blue LED lights on both sides under the tank and red ones on top of backrest for breaking lights. I try not to ride at night but they should work. I am also thinking of adding heated grips and power outlet for my GPS.

Bill

Attachments

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Bill, those type of small LEDs have a current draw of just about nothing.
Driving lights are a much different story, especially incandescent bulbs.

IIRC, when I had the '75 CB360T that I read somewhere that at idle, there of course was a battery drain, and it wasn't charging the battery until you ran it something like 2300 RPM.

-George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts