Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a spare titled CB500t frame. I also have a few CB450 parts bikes and a CM400 parts bike.

I'd like to go a different route and use the comstar wheels on this one. Whats the easiest way to make the rear work? I was thinking it would probably bolt right up to a CB360 swingarm, but I'm not sure. I doubt the cm400 swingarm would swap into the CB500t frame as it looks like a different design.

Was there a 16" front comstar ever made? I always wanted to do a bike with 16" front and rear wheels. If not, I'll just use the complete cm400 front end. It has the 18" comstar.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
So, I have a spare titled CB500t frame. I also have a few CB450 parts bikes and a CM400 parts bike.

I'd like to go a different route and use the comstar wheels on this one. Whats the easiest way to make the rear work? I was thinking it would probably bolt right up to a CB360 swingarm, but I'm not sure. I doubt the cm400 swingarm would swap into the CB500t frame as it looks like a different design.

Was there a 16" front comstar ever made? I always wanted to do a bike with 16" front and rear wheels. If not, I'll just use the complete cm400 front end. It has the 18" comstar.
The 360 swingarm is the same as a 450/500, just a bit longer - a common swap for cafe doods.

I used comstars from a 400 T2 on mine - pictures at a link in my signature. Rear is 18" on this one, stock 450 swingarm.- never tried the more common 16".
On the rear I had to adjust the axle spacers to center the wheel - serendiptiously then, by the grace of God the sprockets lined up great (whew!!).
The front was easy for me, I used a 360 top and triple clamps (with a 450 stem welded in - Steve made it for me) and bolted up the entire 400 T2 front end - brake, fender, forks, wheel, speedo drive. Used the 360 tach/speedo bracket.
It would be more difficult to plug the comstar wheel only into a stock 450/500 setup, which is designed for a 19" wheel anyway.
Hawk types are 33 mm forks, like a 360 - 450/500 are 35 mm forks.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Your bike looks excellent. I may just swap the whole front end on the bike. I don't mind making spacers to make the rear wheel work. If that's the case, I'll just stick with the swing arm I have.

The 360 swingarm is the same as a 450/500, just a bit longer - a common swap for cafe doods.

I used comstars from a 400 T2 on mine - pictures at a link in my signature. Rear is 18" on this one, stock 450 swingarm.- never tried the more common 16".
On the rear I had to adjust the axle spacers to center the wheel - serendiptiously then, by the grace of God the sprockets lined up great (whew!!).
The front was easy for me, I used a 360 top and triple clamps (with a 450 stem welded in - Steve made it for me) and bolted up the entire 400 T2 front end - brake, fender, forks, wheel, speedo drive. Used the 360 tach/speedo bracket.
It would be more difficult to plug the comstar wheel only into a stock 450/500 setup, which is designed for a 19" wheel anyway.
Hawk types are 33 mm forks, like a 360 - 450/500 are 35 mm forks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have a cb360 swingarm that I would let go cheap...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts