Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What kind of brake performance should I expect from the front disc of my ‘81 CM400T? When coming to a firm stop, applying the front brake will dive the front end bringing the bike to a slow stop. When firmly applied at a stop, I can get the wheel to break free with some effort. Bike still has the original pads but I did rebuild the master cylinder (less the reservoir) and bleed the system. I do have some concerns that the oring between the plastic reservoir and body is leaking. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
A quick look at 3 ebay rebuild kits reveals that the o-ring size is 39.7mm x 3.5mm, so choose a material resistant to glycol ether brake fluids.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If your master cylinder had rusty gunk in it your caliper needs a rebuild too (easier than you'd think). New brake pads are a good idea, 40 year old ones have probably degraded in at least one way

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
First toss those old hard brake pads and replace them with new ones. They've outlived their life and then some.
Next replace the old rubber brake hose with a modern braided hose.
Rebuilding the caliper may not be needed if it's working properly, pistons retracting slightly-slides on the mount pins-no leaks-etc.
After all this if you want more aggressive braking then you would switch to a 14mm-9/16" master. Your current one is 5/8"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts