Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Having some issues. A few weeks ago I took my CM400 out and by the time I got down 3 blocks I suddenly lost all power and the bike shut off…it didn't feel like a normal stall or anything, just a total drop of power and it died. I could get the engine to turn and start for a minute or so but it was barely revving, no power, and I had to open the throttle the tiniest bit just to keep it running, and as soon as I let go of that bit of throttle it just died again. Rolled it home.

Hadn't had time to check it out again until a couple days ago and more or less the same thing happened. Would turn on, quickly lose power and die, but this time I realized that it was pumping black smoke out of the exhaust as well. At first I thought it may be the carbs since I haven't ridden much since the weather got good and maybe they need to be cleaned/rebuilt, although there's still stabilized in the fuel. Then I remembered that a couple months back I replaced my choke cable and started wondering if the black smoke and weird idling have to do with the choke and it just running super rich. I checked the choke's ball connection and it seems to be working just fine though…is there something else that can go wrong with this?

Anybody come across anything like this? Any guidance would be great, at this point I'd love to just get it running enough to take to a better mechanic. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, I should add that a bit of oil does pool underneath the engine, but I don't think it's a disconcerting amount.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Check your oil level, you may have gasoline in the crankcase.
The problem could be the choke or stuck float valves.
Gas in the oil is a bad thing and may be the reason for the leak.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yep, if there's gas in the oil it will be overfull and might push out the breather tube, and/or if that model has a separator box on the breather tube or the airbox to collect oil mist, it could be full from that happening. Is the puddle under the engine or the airbox area behind the carbs?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Don't leave the choke full out for long. Just for starting. Then, gradually push it in as the engine warms. You WILL get black smoke if the choke is left out and it WILL stall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. The oil is in fact under the engine. Since I've had the bike the lower crankcase has always been pretty oilly...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts