Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put the yoke then forks with headlamp/fork chrome covers back on my cm250tb, the fork covers were a bit loose. There was vertical play about 3 mm. They have cushions top and bottom. So I assumed I hadn't pressed the ball races in far enough. Frightened to keep tightening the steering head with the C spanner. Everything locked up when I tightened it. So.
As I took the thing apart, one of my balls made a bid for freedom and was successful. Looked everywhere, tried the big magnet on a stick. No joy. I wondered about sending another one after it with a tracer but decided not to.
Anyway. 3 questions
1 the balls measure 1/4 inch, and so states the microfiche. Is that not weird being Japanese, can anyone enlighten me?
2 I can buy all types of balls, from ceramic to chrome etc etc. Which would be the correct one? Can I use bicycle ball bearings? Prices vary so,I assume so does quality.
3 should I have just kept tightening the steering head? Instructions say tighten up and then back an 1/8th.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Local bicycle shop 1/4" ball bearings work fine.

Next time, do it over a thick piece of carpeting and have a magnet at the ready.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
If you're worried about that minute difference in size, replace them all. they're cheap enough. 17 top race, 18 bottom race. Personally, I think you'll be fine just replacing the one ball.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's probably a good idea, it's 18 and 19 balls on my cm250. Do you know their composition, or should I just go hardened?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts