Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a question about my turn signals for my 1980 Twinstar (6v). I have been having trouble with my whole electrical system and mainly my turn signals not blinking, I think it is a culmination of a lot of things including a bad battery, dirty or powder coated grounds, and maybe a bad relay. For right now I just want to tackle the relay. I took it apart and it looks unlikely that there's anything wrong with it because it looks very well made (makes sense because it's stock), but I'm curious if the relay is supposed to have contact at idle. Just looking at the relay I can see the points are connected which makes sense with how my turn signals stay on solid while all other relays I try dont even turn them on. Is this just because it's not getting enough power? With a multimeter hooked up, positive to the black wire and negative to the grey wire I get around 3.5v or 4v with the bike running. Hooking the relay up directly to the battery, positive to B and negative to L, the points do in fact separate and everything seems to work fine with it except maybe a bit of sparking. However, when I hook the battery up to B and plug the grey wire into L and hit the turn signal, it still only comes on solid, much brighter but still solid. When I do the same with the new relays I have, both 6v, they still don't even turn the signals on. I can't wrap my head around what is going on here. There is an available ground wire that comes out next to the relay (The Twinstar has multiple extra green ground wires scattered around the bike), could I fix my issue using this? Maybe hooking up the ground to L along with the grey wire or would that just leave it constantly working since the points are naturally connected? I feel like maybe all I need is a new battery, but I don't recall the turn signals ever working, even when the battery was new, but I could be wrong. Hopefully some of this makes sense and if not please let me know and I'll try to clarify. Any and all input is appreciated, thank you for your time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
No point in doing any troubleshooting without a battery that is known to be good and fully charged.

Good place to start is cleaning/tightening all the connections, particularly the grounds at the lights and ensuring good/clean contact between the bulbs and the sockets.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Power is already at the relay (with key on) and the circuit depends on the switch and bulbs to complete the return path to ground....
HOWEVER, IF there is not enough wattage draw in the bulbs, the module won't function....
A GOOD 6 Volt battery should read about 6.3 to 6.4 V. minimum (resting)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just got my '80 Twinstars running and before I got the motor to fire I thought I had a bad signal relay because the indicators would turn on but not blink. But..once I got the motor running they blink fine while the bike is running..so I don't think the battery on its own has enough juice...at least not in my case.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses. I'll probably pick up a new battery in the next couple weeks and hope that changes things. For a while I thought maybe all my grounds were messed up from powdercoating, but when I have the bike running, all the lights are bright and everything works fine, besides the turn signals of course. Does anyone have an idea of how much voltage a relay should draw to work?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I had trouble with the flasher relay on a ca 160 till I found this one. Dont know if it will help but here is the info. Thermal 6 volt flasher relay 3 prong . $8.13 . He also has 2 prong.

Zaylor Enterprises [email protected]

Bill

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
With a powder coated frame it's important to run a tap in each threaded hole to insure good grounding. Also sand to bare metal directly under any ground lug from the harness. A shot of spray paint on top will cover that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bad ground some where. Clean all the sockets, check all the bulbs to make sure they are good. Check the mounting of the lights to the rack and front stems. Check the ground connections inside the headlight, pay attention to the double connector. Could also be the switch for the signals, give it a small blast of contact cleaner. Hooking the relay to a ground isn't going to hurt anything but it isn't necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts