Honda Twins banner

CM200T Chain and Sprocket Change - Newbie

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  phrase 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just got my first bike over the summer, a 1981 CM200T. I rode it around all summer and love it. I put ut away for the winter and need to get some stuff done on it, mainly chain out the chain an sprockets. I noticed that the teeth on the sprockets are staring to wear the chain is way to lose, and need to be replaced. I can't find any videos on how to do it, and how hard would it be? This would be my first time doing this as well. I've seen general videos on how to do it on other bikes, but are there any specifics with mine? (like torquing and that stuff?)

Thanks!

-Colin

#2 ·
It’s really hard to change the front and rear sprockets on a Honda. Once you have the correct replacement chain and both chain wheels you’ll need to put the bike on its centre stand; and then remove the lock pin on the rear axle. Next undo the nut on the axle. You’ll also need to undo the nut on the rear brake torque arm. And possibly remove the brake arm. Pull the chain off the front and rear sprockets . Then you can remove the rear wheel once you have pulled the axle out. You’ll also need to undo the screws holding the guard on the front sprocket. Once they’re removed you have access to the front sprocket. Two bolts hold the plate on, undo them; rotate the plate and pull it off; replace the new sprocket; plate and bolts and do them up tight. The rear wheel has a large circlip holding the rear sprockets in place, with various seals depending on the model. Undo this circlip. Pull off the washer if fitted and remove the rear sprocket. They have posts which fit into the rear hub. The hub has rubber bushes for shock absorbing. Depending on the age of your bike they maybe ok or in need of replacement this is your choice.
If they are ok... unbolt these bolts from the sprocket and replace them in the new sprocket following the FSM. Reverse the disassembly procedure reassembling the wheel. It might help to put the old chain on the front sprocket after cleaning it and joining the new chain onto the old so you can pull it through to join both new ends on the rear sprocket after replacing the rear wheel. Do up the circlip with the closed end facing the direction of rotation. Then it’s just a matter of adjusting the chain tension so that each side of the rear wheel is equally displaced from the rear swinging arm. Tighten the axle nut and refit the split pin or R pin.
Start the engine on the Centre stand; put it in gear and slowly run the engine and if the chain tension is ok there should be no graunching sounds from the chain. Spray chain lube on until sufficiently lubricated.
Go for a ride.
Nigel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.