Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I found my project for this winter.
The good news is it runs.
The bad news is that's pretty much all the good news. PO poked a hole in the seat to install a homemade back rest.
Headlight bucket got broken so PO replaced it with a square one off a Yamaha. (I did get the remains of the original). Tires are shot. :eek:
Needs new chain.
Not sure if I can rebuild the front brake master cylinder or will need to replace.
Left side cover is missing. (sure wish I had a dozen or so of those to put up on e-bay. wow).
Pretty significant dent in rear of gas tank. Plenty of rust inside but no holes.
Mufflers pretty well shot.
Throttle cables need replacing (Pull cable broke so PO used the other cable to make it work, more or less).
But it runs!
I've got more pictures, as soon as I figure out how to link them up I'll get a few on here, maybe.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Ahhh, finally another twin from the '80 on here :D I was feeling quite alone.

I'll be interested in following this project, I have an '80 CB400T, the two share a lot of components. That reminds me, I've been meaning to create a project log for mine. :)

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think when I'm done this will look like a CB. A local guy, proprietor of "Als Motorsickle Shop" has a CB400T he is going to make a mini-chopper out of and is even now figuring out how hard he'll jab me to haul away all the parts he's not going to use. :D
It's just possible that my overwhelming desire to restore things to their original condition may succumb to my (wife's) overwhelming desire to be reasonably frugal. :roll:
More to come.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The CM's are gaining popularity on here and advrider. There are 3 members that just picked up CM's *myself included* on advrider and I've got my thread on here a lil ways down. This one I bought for my girlfriend as her first bike and it wasn't even running when we got it:

Tires shot
carbs plugged
dead battery
leaking head gasket
leaking base gasket
nearly solid chain
worn sprockets
carb air cut off valves/diaphragms ripped
stuck throttle and clutch cables
seized front caliper
master cylinder full of what looked like rock candy and mud

Anyway it is mostly running now, still sorting out some clutch issues and backfiring issues....8 months after we bought it. Kim does have her permit now though :D Oh, ours is a '79.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a little curious about the 79 CM. Does yours have a kick starter? From what I've seen the 79 CMs had the kick starter but the later ones didn't.
Most of the CB 400s I've seen have the kick starter but a few don't.
Does someone know if there's a code to this?
This of course is coming from someone who believes all motorcycles should have a kick starter and no Harley should have an electric starter. If you're going to ride a hog you should at least have to kick it to get it going.
Yes, I did grow up on a farm.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Well, all you 400T guys don't forget that I have a nearly complete 79 400T2 in my shop.
No title, it will get parted out.......

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, here are a few more.
Really didn't care for the windshield. PO said it's for a Sportster. Local Harley guy not interested in it but allowed as how I might be able to ger 5 bucks for it. Wow.
Cute little hardbags I just might keep after I design a better mounting system for them. Right now they bounce around like a rock on the end of a fishing pole.
Yamaha headlight bugs me but it does work. For now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Looks like a cool little scoot. Love the panniers! Good luck mate.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it's time to get started. Just going to take off the major stuff and clean it up. Well, maybe I got a little carried away but there's still a few pieces I haven't taken off yet.

Found sources for a lot of the parts, mostly need the sidecovers. Turns out the one that is there has one of the mounting brackets broken/missing.

Anyway, here's how she looks now, more later.

Oh yeah, technical specs for that engine stand are available for a nominal fee. :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow, you've torn it apart farther than we took ours. We've got to do the clutch come spring time though, its toast. Let us know how the rebuild goes. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
My first road riding experience was on a '81 CM400. I put 3,000 miles on that bike in the summer of 2007. Ah, the good old days :p

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PIB alert!

Another engineer sitting at his tropical island retirement home laughing as he says "remember when I designed that....................

Helmet lock is screwed to the bracket. Bracket is riveted to the frame. Screw heads line up with frame thus making them inaccessible. :evil:

If I drill/grind the rivet off to remove the bracket the inside part will fall inside the frame creating a perpetual rattle not to mention the aggravation of just knowing it's there. :x

Looks like masking tape time. :roll:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
J-T said:
Helmet lock is screwed to the bracket. Bracket is riveted to the frame. Screw heads line up with frame thus making them inaccessible. :evil:

If I drill/grind the rivet off to remove the bracket the inside part will fall inside the frame creating a perpetual rattle not to mention the aggravation of just knowing it's there. :x

Looks like masking tape time. :roll:
Don't be so sure there is an "inside part" - how did they get it together in the first place then??

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good point! Maybe I better dig out a can of brain cell lubricant and ponder this a bit. :?:

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Don't be so sure there is an "inside part" - how did they get it together in the first place then??
Just to play the devils advocate here as I'm not sure, but isn't that section of the frame made up of two pressed pieces? Maybe they put that piece on before they welded it together. I doubt it but thought I throw it out there.

What's the reason for removing it anyway? Is it broke?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nah, it anit broke. It's just that it's the last piece connected to the frame that I haven't removed in preparation for cleaning/painting and, you know, I couldn't just leave it there. Right?

Anyway, Bill was right. It looked like it could be a washer staked onto a stud but a light touch with the angle grinder showed it to be one piece.

Tried to unscrew it with a vise-grip, no go.

Tried to unscrew it with a chisel / hammer, no go.

Ground the head off, removed the bracket, unscrewed what was left with fingers. Go figure.

Just one more item on the eventual order from bolt depot.

I bet that engineer is enjoying one of those fruity drinks with an umbrella sticking out of it.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts