Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

2 clutch questions:
- How different are the clutch cables for different years and models? I can find some 1982 CM 125 T cables, and some 198X CM 125 C cables, and some have a pear at one end, barrel on the other, some have two barrels... how interchangeable are they?

- Not sure exactly for the reason for this, but it seems my bike has only 3 gears (while all the info I could find online says it should have 4). Is there some adjustment I can make? As I am also a total newb for riding, is it something I could be doing wrong while shifting? Not sure how to find out...
(Tried a friend's CM 125 C and could definitely find and shift all gears there)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi
Not familiar with your machine but to answer some of your questions about cables; It is best if the ends are the same as the original cable but the length can vary a small amount. Better a little long than too short. You can even make your own cables or modify the length of aftermarket cables with the correct end fittings. (Many you tube videos)

What is wrong with the original cables? If they have no frayed wires or kinks or damaged outer housing, then they may just need lubricated with aerosol lube made for motorcycle cables or other penetrating lubes that you have experience with.

Maybe your shifting problem is nothing more than a bent shift lever and it is touching against the engine cases when you shift (best case scenario). Some times transmissions are engineered differently for different markets around the world (but that most commonly deals with shift patterns not the number of speeds.[exceptions are some of the less than 100cc machines from the '50s and '60s]).

Sit the machine on the center stand with the rear wheel off the ground (or a stand of some type) and (without the motor running) rotate the rear wheel back and forth while shifting the transmission through the gears (without using the clutch) and you should be able to identify all the gears and neutral. This will eliminate the question about clutch adjustment and wheather it is affecting the machine's ability to shift into all the gears.

You should be able to find all kinds of information on internet searches; if you haven't already.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts