Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought this bike, it was being converted into a cafe racer style, but previous owner stopped halfway through, so bike has been sitting for maybe 1-2 years.

The first thing I noticed is that Clutch will not disengage from the transmission - I have the bike up on the center stand so back wheel is suspended, and I put into 1st gear, I should be able to push actuator forward and release the clutch into neutral allowing the back tire to spin freely.

I can only push the actuator maybe half way and then it gets very hard to push any further. The cable is not attached - I'm pushing actuator by hand.

I drained the old oil and I have removed the case. Then I took out the clutch springs to release the pressure and to check if the clutch plates were damaged or stuck together. The plates look fine and are not stuck together. After examining the clutch, I put the case back on, and have tried to move the actuator, but still no luck.

Any ideas? What should I try next?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Sounds like everything is normal at this point. Your fingers don't have enough strength to release the clutch, use a 17mm open end wrench over the case lever to release it. While inspection of the disc's show they aren't sticking to the steels the cold old oil is acting like a glue when they get compressed. Hot fresh oil should clear it all up once you've got the bike running.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Much corrosion on the steel clutch plates, and how was the "Dot", i will let you research that, ideal time to check/attend to that as the clutch cover is off. Also ideal time to flush any crap thats sitting on the sump floor, in the kick starter oil trough and clutch drum fingers.

You know of cmsnl for the exploded views and have a manual and peg spanner?

Did you spot the "odd" clutch friction plate?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts