Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'69 CL350, clutch was slipping, so I ordered friction plates and springs, both Barnett brand.

The springs measure 1.45" long, the Clymer manual lists 1.26" as the minimum, which is about what the old ones were. I installed them and now the clutch lever is REALLY stiff!

Does anyone know what new oem Honda springs measure? Are Barnett springs extra stiff? The same part number applies to a wide range of models...

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Barnett has been known for years as a high-performance clutch manufacturer, so I'd expect their springs to be stiffer than stock. Generally speaking, replacing clutch plates is enough to stop a slipping problem on a stock engine, and using aftermarket springs is an extra measure when looking for maximum clutch performance while using aftermarket engine parts that would increase horsepower (overbore pistons, better cams, etc). As an added thought, any technical info you might need to rely on would be better gotten from a FSM (factory service manual). Clymer manuals are notorious for errors and omissions. The FSM would have factory specs on the usable range of spring measurements. A trick I learned long ago for many Honda twins to give a slight increase in spring pressure is to add a spark plug washer (from the stock size B8ES plugs) over each post before installing each spring. The inner diameter is large enough to go over the post and under the bottom of the spring and add a bit of tension to the preload without causing coil bind

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I very rarely replace plates, the Honda springs are designed to be marginal, clutch slip is 'built in.
Use stock plates and heavy duty springs. Clutch cable routing plus lubrication will help

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses

I like the idea of spark plug washers to add preload to the stock springs... I'll have to dig around for some. The vendor I bought the parts from confirmed the Barnett springs are heavy duty. I'm setting the bike up for my wife, this clutch pull would not work well for her.

The cable is new, and routing is free of kinks or sharp bends. The lever is stock, I see common motor sells a "power lever" with a dog-leg bend, maybe that could help...

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yes, a dog-leg lever does help, especially for someone with a bit smaller hands. You can also adjust it to the edge of maximum slack at the lever to help her gain advantage by way of getting a bigger handful of lever before the actual clutch pull begins, but the downside of that could be making it harder to get into neutral when warm as the cable usually stretches a bit and creates more slack when warmed up. Seat height and clutch pull are often the two biggest hurdles for a woman to ride a bike (with a manual trans), which makes the 400 automatic a good choice in some cases.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I run clutch cable around right side of steering head and cross back to left behind top engine mount. Dog-leg lever is a great addition. You could also use 2 Barnett springs and two stock, just make sure they are set diagonal so pressure plate pulls off square

1 - 6 of 6 Posts