Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

On my 66’ Scrambler.
Found some safety wire on the lever end of the clutch cable just inside of the cable barrel. What is the reason for this?

It looks like it is put here as a spacer so the clutch spring will not pull the cable barrel against the clutch lever mount…

The reason this is an issue is because the diameter of the cable is now too large to fit through the receiver slot of the clutch lever.

The safety wire can easily be cut so I can remove clutch lever but I am interested if there is another reason this safety wire is here. There is NO safety wire on the front brake side.

Thanks,
Scott
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Fender

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bicycle part Automotive design

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, with some thought, I am now thinking that possibly in the past, there were a couple wire strands, broken that connect to the barrel. And the previous owner wrapped the cable with safety wire to prevent any further fraying. I’m going to remove the wire and report back to you guys.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hello Scott, reproduction cables are available at "Classic Honda Restorations" in Maryland.
Also, Genuine Honda brake and clutch levers are available at Honda dealers, however I got the pair from "4into1" Honda parts in San Francisco, Ca. many genuine parts available. HondaJohn

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John,

Thanks for that! Building my contacts for parts. appreciate it.

Question for you…
Was looking for a cable on, Davis Silver Spares earlier and the replacement clutch cables available were described as “Clutch cable (From frame no. CL77 1047938 to end of production)”

-see link for clutch cable below-

My serial number is, 1026564. Does this mean that the cable on David Silver Spares is a later cable that will not fit my serial number?

Thank you very much!
-Scott

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
The later cable has a different adjuster on the end, a lock nut to hold the adjustment instead of that wheel/spring arrangement. The correct one for yours is the early version, part # 22870273000

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The later cable has a different adjuster on the end, a lock nut to hold the adjustment instead of that wheel/spring arrangement. The correct one for yours is the early version, part # 22870273000
Mike,
Thank you so very much for that info. I have looked around on a few sites and many of them don’t seem to have the part, including CMS. I am looking for an NOS part I have seen a couple of clutch cables available on eBay though, I’m a little skeptical of their location- Asia pacific region. But maybe it’s totally legit. Thanks again – Scott.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mike,
Thank you so very much for that info. I have looked around on a few sites and many of them don’t seem to have the part, including CMS. I am looking for an NOS part I have seen a couple of clutch cables available on eBay though, I’m a little skeptical of their location- Asia pacific region. But maybe it’s totally legit. Thanks again – Scott.
Hello, "Classic Honda Restorations" in Maryland has the cable you need, and lots of other parts. Check the website. Good Luck, HondaJohn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts