Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding a CM400T which has a CB400N engine installed.
I have just refitted the clutch cover and the clutch is so heavy it has just snapped the cable!
Thinking I had put it together wrong, I took it off and replaced it a couple of times. The lifter is in the cover and moves when I twist the actuator, but when I put the cover on the engine, I can only turn the actuator with mole grips.
Any clues? Should you be able to rotate the actuator with hand pressure?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Something is very wrong !!

Yes you can rotate the actuator arm via hand ( if you are strong ) but its quite "strong" as you are compressing the 4 clutch springs.

The actuator arm rotates on needle roller bearing in the clutch cover, and "lifts" the mushroom that presses on the bearing in the steel stamped spring plate, that holds the spring in, this freeing the clutch eventually. It has 4 bolts 6mm.

The mushroom sits in the actuator arm shaft "notch" properly ?

You know of cmsnl for the exploded views which show how stuff goes together ??

You have the peg spanner for the clutch castletated/slotted nut and know which way round it goes and the special washer etc..

You know of the different clutch plates, one being different and where it goes.

You know where the g/box input shaft sleeve and washer goes.

Did you reassemble the clutch hub "sprung" metal plate properly.

I suggest lots of pictures.

Picture of the broken cable also. Did the nipple pull thru ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Thanks for replying. I have only taken the cover off. The clutch itself was not disassembled.
I will be checking the mushroom tonight.
The cable snapped.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. Took cover off and oiled the mushroom. Put a different cable on and it is much better now.
Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I am rebuilding a CM400T which has a CB400N engine installed.
I have just refitted the clutch cover and the clutch is so heavy it has just snapped the cable!

You do not say how much work you have done on the engine, but should have done some servicing whilst the clutch cover was off, like flushing out the sump floor of all the crap that was in there, including the kick start oil trough, and, checking balance chain system adjustment.

You have a manual?

Why did you take the clutch cover off and does the 400n have a kickstart fitted?

You understand that the balance chain adjustment adjusting quadrant, the arm near the front of the engine with a slot and lock nut in it, is adjustable on the splined balance shaft?

The DOT is a marker to show when that system is worn out. The DOT is on the end of the balance shaft threaded portion that holds the quadrant on via the 14mm a/f self locking nut.

If the DOT is at the 3 o clock position the system is fully unadjusted. The quadrant rotates due to spring loading ( it may be suffering from "sticktion" and need some "excersising" ) in an anti clock wise direction to adjust ( tighten ) .

If the DOT is about noon when adjusted and the quadrant has more or less a full slot of adjustment remaining, happy days !

If the DOT is at the 9 o clock position ( no more adjustment left in the system, an eccentric shaft ) when adjusted, then the system is on its very last legs.

Dot below 9 o clock, the system is worn out with no more tightening adjustment left, in fact the system starts to unadjust ( loosen ) due to the eccentric.

With a long thin probe and careful eyesight, the balance chain can be seen and probed for tension and slack.

You must not do this if the engine is running!

. DO NOT overtighten the balance chain system, you will run the real risk of chain breakage, system breakage and very very un necessary accelerated wear of the system.

See the manual on here or cmsnl exploded views, for layout, parts availability and cost.

If you visit cmsnl with the engine number you can tell if the balance weights have a "cush drive" or are solid ( better solid as no expensive cush drive segments needed ) balance weights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts