Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there, I'm posting this thread just to ask if this is normal (I think not).

Clutch operates fine with the exception of when you switch off the bike and let it rest for 5-10mins. When switching on again especially after riding it for a while (say >50Km) so hot engine, and putting it in first gear, clutch dis-engages but not fully and you must hold the brakes as the bike bumps forward with a horrible sound of everything but smooth gear engagement. Then everything runs fine, no troubles switching gears, normal gearbox operation.

My diagnosis:
- Clutch not well regulated (how to check?)
- Wrong oil (I'm using a Rockoil Guardian 10W40 Semi-Synthetic, what about it?)

Other considerations:
When riding for a while some oil spills out of the clutch cover from the rod seal (we're talking few drops, not always happening, no clue if normal);
When shifting at really high RPMs (9-10K, quick shift then full throttle) clutch spins, doesn't engage well. I always thought it was because I was asking too much of the old lady :cool::cool:

Has this by chance ever happened to someone?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
First, we need to clarify terminology - when you are sitting in gear with the clutch lever pulled in, the clutch is disengaged. As you release the clutch lever, the clutch engages to transmit the engine power to the driveline to make the bike move. Having said that, when you shift quick/hard and you hear the engine rev up a bit excessively as the bike accelerates, the clutch is slipping a little as it isn't fully engaged until the slipping stops. This could be from worn clutch friction plates or possibly the wrong oil. When the clutch adjustment changes (fully warmed up, more slack in the clutch lever/cable) the cutch might not disengage completely when stopped and that would cause it to be hard to get into neutral because the clutch is dragging a bit (not disengaged enough, plates rubbing each other as if to try to move the bike). So, it could be your oil or it could be worn plates

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Agree with the terminology, I think I used it right.
Bike has 35,000Km that's why I did not think about worn plates but hey, I did not drive it the whole time so they could be worn by misuse of previous owner, thanks for the hint! As for the oil, is a Semi synth 10w40 ok for these engines? Oil status is ok; 2,000Km old and very clean at the moment when checking from dipstick.

EDIT -> I actually used the terminology wrong, my fault. Adjusted

·
Registered
805 Posts
If the oil is motorcycle specific it probably isn't the problem, I think the spec to meet is JASO MA. Also look for "suitable for use with wet clutch systems" or similar.

When putting it into gear it's normal for it to go "clunk" and jump forward, but other noises or trying to actually take off aren't.

Edit: You can check your adjustment first though, the major adjustment is on the top of the right side of the engine (as you sit on the bike). Check to see if the clutch lever has the correct slack. If you pull the lever towards the bar, does the arm on the engine engage immediately (too tight), does it only engage after the lever moves a lot (too loose), or does it engage after about 10-20 mm (just right).

If you have a factory service manual it's all in there with great pictures. If you don't have one say so and someone will send you a copy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When putting it into gear it's normal for it to go "clunk" and jump forward, but other noises or trying to actually take off aren't.
That's exactly what happens, but when the engine is hot the "clunk" is really loud, and the jump forward moves the bike to a point that if you don't expect it and don't hold brakes you risk falling. Will look into the oil specs thanks!

·
Registered
805 Posts
It's hard to say without feeling it, I think I keep the brakes on while putting it in gear so I wouldn't even notice unless it was really bad. See the edit I added above about the adjustment though before you start worrying about your clutch plates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I confirm the oil is JASO MA/MA2 compliant, so no issues with wet clutch. Harder to check if plates are worn, but at least the oil is out of the equation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's hard to say without feeling it, I think I keep the brakes on while putting it in gear so I wouldn't even notice unless it was really bad.
It's really bad trust me, you would not only notice it but also wonder if something broke..but then everything works fine. I usually hold brakes too when putting the bike in gear but once I didn't think about it and the bike jumped forward and stopped, I almost fell off.

Yup I do have a service manual, didn't think there was info on the clutch adjustment, will go and check!

·
Registered
805 Posts
That does sound pretty severe, good thing it was only almost fell off. The clutch adjustment is section 3-9 in the service manual

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The freeplay at the rod lever to cable should be no more than 2mm, 1 is better. Also that lever arm should be at the @11 o'clock position.
From your description of slippage at high rpm shift clutch engagement it sounds like the friction discs are worn or the springs are getting soft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Adjusted the clutch, now it’s better.
Anyway I didn’t have any hard time putting the bike in gear from neutral with hot engine since when I cleaned the carbs. I think that running lean (one bowl vent clogged), temperature was going way too high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts