Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
working on my '72 cb450
probably every one knows this but me........so pardon my ignorance..
is the clutch lifter rod supposed to pull out so easily? i can just pull it straight out with my fingers..i did not pull it all the way out...

does this have anything to do with why my clutch is not engaging?...i am trying to re-install my clutch cable.

i tried putting my clutch cable back on tonight. but when i did i only a very minuscule amount of action. And only when the adjuster (on case cover) was totally to the right and the cable backed out to max. i tried the opposite...and different things several times....but it is not engaging the clutch.
or am i simply doing it all wrong from the get? doesn't seem that complicated. Started with the cable set in about middle adjustment of the turn screws.

before i took it apart it definitely engaged...ie i could pull the lever and push the bike while in gear.
i have never ridden the bike (as i have been trying to get it up and running), so i don't know if there could be other clutch issues...but i do know it was working to some extent before i took it apart.

thanks for any input

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Yes, the rod pulls out (completely if you want)...It's held captive by the adjuster/worm gear in the cover....Make sure the ball bearing is in the worm........

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tinker'd around with it some this eve...no luck.
i am not sure i clearly understand how the lifter rod works. It seems it pushes through to the clutch when the lever is pulled
which turns the threaded gizmo (clutch adjuster) with the ball in the end.? it pushes the rod? or do i have this wrong?

should i be able to push the lifter rod in with my hand or a little hunk of lumber?..cause i can't.

as a side note: the adjustment (from the outside) portion was jammed before i started all this....couldn't turn with screw driver... so popped it out and found the a micro spring in the "oil hole" (?) had sprung and was partly stuck in between casing and adjuster clutch. had to buff out the gouges...and it seems to be functioing fine. I did not put the spring back in.
i cleaned out all the old grease and packed it with new grease.....

could i have.....well, i hesitate to ask it this way......put too much grease in the worm hole?...is that ever possible?...

could this effect the ball bearing action?...or should there be a piece behind the ball bearing to push it out more?....none of the fich show anything like that.

and clutch cable is in pretty good shape...
thanks

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Put the maximum amount of "slack' in the cable..... (adjusters at lever and at case both screwed in).... hook cable into clevis and back out bottom adjuster until it sits loosely but can't "fall free" of the clevis..... Install cover........loosen the lock bolt by the "worm" and turn the slotted center until you just feel pressure, then back off a "smidge' and lock down bolt.......Adjust lower cable end until slack is gone and back it off two turns (a little slack).....Clutch should pull smoothly and disengage when bar lever is pulled in

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not to hijack, but is it normal for the clutch to engage with the lever nearly fully released? It appears there is no way to adjust the clutch so it engages sooner without having excess slack in the lever / cable.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Jeremy...did you turn the slotted center adjuster in the cover?

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey...no fair hijacking!!...haha...all clutch info is good.
so
got some.

66 - did what you said. could swear i tried it before i posted....but anyway. did it again as you suggested and i do have a little bit of clutch. not much, but some. scrounged up your previous replies on a post...."clutch stuck...". Putting the bike on the floor off the center stand gave me more info than just trying to spin the wheel while on the center stand in gear. this was mentioned in your previous responses to "clutch stuck".

would it behoove me to (once i have the engine running smoothly) to take the clutch basket out and inspect/clean?
am a little afraid i won't be able to get it back together.

gear shifter does not snap back...it kind of hangs there after shifting into gear....any ideas???

i have a new cable that i want to install, but since i was having trouble i thought i would go back to the orig. cable since it had worked a little at the time....will put new one on later as i have other engine issues at the moment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey...no fair hijacking!!...haha...all clutch info is good.
so
got some.

66 - did what you said. could swear i tried it before i posted....but anyway. did it again as you suggested and i do have a little bit of clutch. not much, but some. scrounged up your previous replies on a post...."clutch stuck...". Putting the bike on the floor off the center stand gave me more info than just trying to spin the wheel while on the center stand in gear. this was mentioned in your previous responses to "clutch stuck".

but what about this washer? it was a bit crumpled when i first opened up the cover. It is not listed any of the fich

would it behoove me to (once i have the engine running smoothly) to take the clutch basket out and inspect/clean?
am a little afraid i won't be able to get it back together.

gear shifter does not snap back...it kind of hangs there after shifting into gear....any ideas???

i have a new cable that i want to install, but since i was having trouble i thought i would go back to the orig. cable since it had worked a little at the time....will put new one on later as i have other engine issues at the moment.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts