Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The clutch lever assembly on my 78 CB400TII is damaged; the lever it’s self is fine, but the Metal in the lower hinge is broken, so the lever moves up and down. I bought generic lever assemblies, since piston in master brake cylinder was also bad, which works great in right side, but as you will know, on left side, the clutch lever is built into the left side controls. What I was wondering, is if anyone has attempted to cut the lever assembly off the controls and then use a separate clutch lever assembly? I am worried that if I cut the metal between controls and clutch lever, the controls section may get damaged (cavity in metal between both sides?). Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I'm not sure if there's a cavity in there or not but I'll be doing just that on some upcoming projects.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I seriously doubt there's a cavity, it would be a weak spot for the clutch lever holder and might break off, plus it would be harder to manufacture. I think you should simply split it open and look at the part that has the lever holder. If the inside edge is smooth all the way there's no way there would be a "pocket" inside, and you can just grind the clutch lever away and then simply paint (if needed) the exposed part. I guess those are made of cheap aluminium so corrosion shouldn't be a problem, just aesthetics :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cut the lever assembly off with a grinder, very easy. Filed the rough edges down, quick coat of paint, looks awesome. The after market clutch lever just slips right in as if it was designed to fit that way.

·
Registered
757 Posts
No experience with your particular model but I have cut down perches several times. Paul pretty well summed it up.

I would suggest careful inspection of the damaged part though. I'm assuming this damage came from some mishap. Make sure the collar doesn't have any cracks that will weaken it when loosened/tightened! Your clutch lever falling off while riding can be quite an experience! Don't ask how I know this. :-?

EDIT - BTW, Please be careful if you ARE using a grinder! Aluminum is nasty stuff. Hard on grinding wheels and you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts