Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick question-
If I assemble the clutch, put the transmission into first and disengage the clutch using the actuator on the side cover should the output shaft turn easily by hand? Is it possible to overactuate the clutch so that it won't? I've just been using a screwdriver in the actuator to as far as it will go. It's acting like the clutch isn't doing anything and I'm not sure why or even whether that's correct. Is it possible the plates are sticking from sitting waiting for me to install it and they'll unstick if bathed in oil when I fill the crankcase? The manual does not have great instructions on the clutch, I've gone over it many, many times

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Not SURE I understand the question, but yes, the countershaft should be able to be rotated in any gear with the clutch disengaged......
There WILL be some "resistance feel" as the whole transmission and the clutch inner are still also rotating in this scenario.....
Feel free to phone to discuss....540-525-5199....Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve,
Basically, I installed the clutch on the engine, bolted down the puller assembly and test-fitted the side cover with the crankcase off the bike. To test and ensure proper clutch activation, I put the transmission in first and tried to rotate the output shaft. There was no change from when the clutch was disengaged, so I thought it might be assembled improperly. With a little research, I think the plates are just sticking- it sat for over a month on the floor waiting for me to get parts so I could procede with my build. Worst case scenario is that there is something else wrong and that side cover comes off after I finish installing the engine in the bike I think.

·
Registered
787 Posts
There are good diagrams on here that show assembly order. You know of cmsnl with simialr exploded views and part descriptions and costs etc.

1. Are the clutch friction plates in correct order?

2. Is the clutch release mechanism assembled in the correct order and working, are all the bits there including the small "thrust" ball race bearing and the "mushroom" ??

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Not sure how you're trying to simulate releasing the clutch, but it's possible you don't have enough leverage to overcome the springs.

If only a month I wouldn't worry about sticking issues. Assembly order is important as the outermost friction is different than the rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts