Honda Twins banner

Clutch Hub Nut Socket, How to make it

55K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  AFS 
#1 ·
If you're reading this then you've discovered what the rest of us know. Nobody makes one, so you have 2 choices for removing and reinstalling the clutch hub nut. 1) use a punch to drive it off and on or 2) make a socket.
Using a punch to take it off is ok but putting it on tight enough is improbable. Under the nut there is a concave washer [attachment=7:1fyhrcym]201_4458.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym]that functions as a lock washer, marked on one side as "outside", that's directional. [attachment=6:1fyhrcym]201_4457.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym]
Stuff needed:
15/16" 12 point socket
Dremel tool/motor
Dremel cutoff blade(Dremel Part #EZ406) and grinding drum
10" mill file
the bloody nut
Note: you'll want to file off any distortions on the nut from using the punch before trying to fit the nut to the socket
[attachment=2:1fyhrcym]201_4455.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym]
Starting with the socket[attachment=5:1fyhrcym]201_4441.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym] Wrap it in tape to make cut marks on[attachment=4:1fyhrcym]201_4445.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym] The tabs line up with 4 of the 12 inner points and you'll be cutting out 8 of those or 2 between each tab. The depth of the tabs is 7mm and the width is 5mm. [attachment=3:1fyhrcym]201_4449.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym]Using the Dremel tool and cutoff blade cut down to make the tabs, then across between the tabs. Depending on the size of the cutoff wheel you may not be able to cut that out completely without cutting into the tabs which you don't want to do since they'll be weak. Cut as much as you can and break the section out. Now that the larger section is out grind the inner section of the socket tabs for clearance on the nut[attachment=1:1fyhrcym]201_4450.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym] Now with the mill file narrow the tabs to get them all to fit the nut and so the nut drops into the socket[attachment=0:1fyhrcym]201_4453.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym] Now remove the tape and you're done :D :D
This took less than an hour to make and now I know I'll have the nut tight and right.

Or you can buy one here for $41.66 instead of a $5 socket and some time spent http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/ho ... 20203.html

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
back in my days actually WORKING :lol:
we used to make this type of socket,with welding only
longdistacerider's method is great but this method works nicely also and is pretty quik and easy if you have a welder
an old socket about the same diameter as the bottom of the grooves
4 pieces of square keystock that fit the nut-notches(fit needs not be perfect) layed alongside the socket and welded
you can actually use a hose clamp on all at once with the nut as the spacer so as to radially position them evenly then carefully tack'n weld
dont chince on the keystock run it full length of the socket

#4 ·
Great how to!

Another thing you can do:

I took a slightly smaller socket, and welded square stock onto the outside to mate with grooves.

#9 ·
This probably is an overkill and would not be needed... I made this very same tool for my cb750f from correct size power socket used with compressed air tools. The socket had thicker wall, so the tab on finished socket is thicker and thus would be able to withstand more power.

#10 ·
LDR methos is the cheapest. If you aren't handy, and aren't rich, you can but the Motion Pro version for $9 plus shipping. If you are ordering something else, and get the bill over $35, the shipping is free..\

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0015-Filter-Spanner/dp/B000WJBLDE

The item is Motion Pro 08-0015....You may find it at similar savings locally or another vender.

That is a 24mm ID, which my CB360 uses. Used with your 3/8 drive ratchet wrench and a short extension.
(24 mm = Approx 15/16)

...There is also this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0385-Counter-Balancer/dp/B000WJH386/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_y

Motion-Pro 08-0385

this is 20mm ID and listed for counter balancer removal.

Just some other sources for those not so handy, or don't

#15 ·
The ID of the MP socket is 24...OD is 30 mm

That tool is the same size as the Genuine Honda Tool I purchased tears ago....

You used a 15/16 socket. The ID of a 15/16 socket is 23.8 MM . The MP socket, like the genuine Honda tool (which I own) is 24 mm ID.

So the MP tool has a larger ID than your homemade socket by 0.2mm.

Your tool is good, I am not knocking it at all, I just wanted those who are not adept at making their own tools that there is an economical alternative to the Honda Tool...

I bought mine back in the early 70's to use with my CB350. CB360 has exact same filter nut, I am can't imagine they changed it for the later models.....They did away with the centrifugal filter a little later anyway.

I may be wrong, I have been in the past (Ask my wife ;) ) but I am pretty sure the proper ID is 24mm for the oil filter cup and clutch basket.

I believe there is a similar 20mm nut on the counter balancer shaft, but I have never had or seen one, so I defer to those with experience.

Motion Pro has a double socket, 24mm on one side, 20 mm on the other, to cover all bases, but it is more like $30, not a bargain at all.

#16 ·
:lol: I know where the confusion is coming from. I forgot to write that you need to use the Dremel to grind out the interior section of each tab so the point is removed.[attachment=0:38o09wwb]201_4450-001.JPG[/attachment:38o09wwb]

Attachments

#17 ·
For those reading this, I did a little more research (probably should of did this first ;) ).

The 2 spanner sockets I listed are for the CB360/350 oil filter locknut. The CM400 clutch nut looks similar, hence my mistake. The CB360/350 uses a "16mm Nut, Lock" while the 400 uses a 20MM "Nut, Lock"....A little larger.

LDR is right, in that the spanner I listed is too small....

The confusion is also related to the fact that the spanner for the CB360 is 24mm ID, but for a 16MM Nut with a 24mm slot.

The CM400 has a 24mm lock nut that is a little larger in diameter.

So ignore my previous post unless you have the older centrifugal filter, in which case, the spanner works...

Hope that clears this up a little....

#21 ·
Considering the time and trouble to get it replaced I would go with new.
Square stock is another name for bar stock or steel bar, in this case it's square instead of flat bar.

#25 · (Edited)
It's funny. I was looking for away to remove the nut and thought of using a pipe or a wrench socket after spending some time searching in the garage. I decided to take a look at Hondatwins and of course LDR has already done it. It made the choice easy but how do you remove the nut when everything just spins?
You need a holder, I had to think for a while and came up with a solution by drilling a piece of wood. I'm just curious what everyone else did since nobody mentions this problem.

#26 ·
If you're reading this then you've discovered what the rest of us know. Nobody makes one, so you have 2 choices for removing and reinstalling the clutch hub nut. 1) use a punch to drive it off and on or 2) make a socket.
Using a punch to take it off is ok but putting it on tight enough is improbable. Under the nut there is a concave washer [attachment=7:1fyhrcym]201_4458.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym]that functions as a lock washer, marked on one side as "outside", that's directional. [attachment=6:1fyhrcym]201_4457.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym]
Stuff needed:
15/16" 12 point socket
Dremel tool/motor
Dremel cutoff blade(Dremel Part #EZ406) and grinding drum
10" mill file
the bloody nut
Note: you'll want to file off any distortions on the nut from using the punch before trying to fit the nut to the socket
[attachment=2:1fyhrcym]201_4455.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym]
Starting with the socket[attachment=5:1fyhrcym]201_4441.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym] Wrap it in tape to make cut marks on[attachment=4:1fyhrcym]201_4445.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym] The tabs line up with 4 of the 12 inner points and you'll be cutting out 8 of those or 2 between each tab. The depth of the tabs is 7mm and the width is 5mm. [attachment=3:1fyhrcym]201_4449.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym]Using the Dremel tool and cutoff blade cut down to make the tabs, then across between the tabs. Depending on the size of the cutoff wheel you may not be able to cut that out completely without cutting into the tabs which you don't want to do since they'll be weak. Cut as much as you can and break the section out. Now that the larger section is out grind the inner section of the socket tabs for clearance on the nut[attachment=1:1fyhrcym]201_4450.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym] Now with the mill file narrow the tabs to get them all to fit the nut and so the nut drops into the socket[attachment=0:1fyhrcym]201_4453.JPG[/attachment:1fyhrcym] Now remove the tape and you're done :D :D
This took less than an hour to make and now I know I'll have the nut tight and right.

Or you can buy one here for $41.66 instead of a $5 socket and some time spent http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/ho ... 20203.html
I made one of these today. It worked like a charm. I also made a holder to hold the clutch from turning while getting the bolt out. Thanks for the write-up on how to make one. Very much appreciated.

Jay

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.