Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya’ll I’ve got the bike going and running fairly well but having problems with the clutch not engaging (when in gear and the clutch is pulled in the wheel won’t move)

I’ve followed the clutch adjustment process a few times and I’m about 80% sure Its not a problem.

The guys on fb said it’s possible that my clutch plate/friction plates are sticking (witch would make sense due to the fact it’s been an inconsistent problem and the bike was sitting for 2 years before I got it)

A few questions,

1. Can I test the push rod/clutch plates without pulling it all apart?

2. if I pull the cover off and find the wear on the springs and friction plates are in spec do I clean them and put them back? If so what do I clean them with?

3. would you recommend replacing them regardless?

4. Any tips on doing this job?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
First, to be sure it's clear to all of us - with the engine off, in gear, and the clutch lever pulled in, you can't push the bike? (note: there will be some level of friction even if the bike will move under those circumstances, since it is a wet clutch) Just to clarify, when the clutch lever is pulled in, you are disengaging the clutch. The clutch begins engaging when you let out the lever and the bike, when in gear with the engine running, begins to move. If you can't push the bike at all in gear with the clutch in and the engine off, then yes, the plates would seem to be stuck together. This is a somewhat common thing for wet clutches that sit unmoved for a long period of time. Often, you can just pop it in gear with the engine running at idle and the clutch lever pulled and the plates will break loose (but be sure you're pointing away from anything you might bump into if the clutch stays stuck, and hold the front brake, or more preferably the rear brake, while doing it). If that doesn't work, with the engine off you can put the bike in an upper gear like third and, with the clutch lever pulled in, rock the bike forward and backward to see if you can break loose the oil suction that is causing the plates to stick together. If none of that works, then disassembly and inspection of all the parts will be required.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
With the key switched off and the trans in neutral, pull the clutch lever in and kick the kick starter(hard) several times. The kick starter shaft turns the transmission on the CB350, which rotates the clutch/primary gears to turn the engine. Unless the plates are really stuck, this will free off the clutch plates. Lots less work than taking the engine apart.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
First, to be sure it's clear to all of us - with the engine off, in gear, and the clutch lever pulled in, you can't push the bike? (note: there will be some level of friction even if the bike will move under those circumstances, since it is a wet clutch) Just to clarify, when the clutch lever is pulled in, you are disengaging the clutch. The clutch begins engaging when you let out the lever and the bike, when in gear with the engine running, begins to move. If you can't push the bike at all in gear with the clutch in and the engine off, then yes, the plates would seem to be stuck together. This is a somewhat common thing for wet clutches that sit unmoved for a long period of time. Often, you can just pop it in gear with the engine running at idle and the clutch lever pulled and the plates will break loose (but be sure you're pointing away from anything you might bump into if the clutch stays stuck, and hold the front brake, or more preferably the rear brake, while doing it). If that doesn't work, with the engine off you can put the bike in an upper gear like third and, with the clutch lever pulled in, rock the bike forward and backward to see if you can break loose the oil suction that is causing the plates to stick together. If none of that works, then disassembly and inspection of all the parts will be required.
This is exactly how the clutch on my MB5 currently is, very hard to move until you feel the plates separate and also when running the first time you pop it into first there is a large jump. Once this happens though its fine. I've been meaning to have a look at the plates but haven't got around to it yet. My bike sat around for long periods of time so this may have caused it, I'll probably just end up putting in new clutch parts. This sounds like the issue atrain is explaining as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts