Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I’m having problems with a slipping clutch on my CL350 and will be planning to replace the friction and steel plates, and springs over the Christmas holiday but want to make sure i’ve got everything i’ll need. My workshop manual is a bit vague and the only description on getting to the plates involves removing the oil filter rotor too with a special lock nut wrench.

1 - Can I remove the clutch pressure plate and change plates and springs without having to remove the oil filter rotor too? I can’t see why not, but would like to make sure.

2 - How long should I soak the friction plates in oil for? 24 hours okay or the longer the better?

3 - What’s a good torque setting when tightening back up the four 6mm pressure plate/spring bolts?

Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Do you have the Honda Factory Service Manual or one of the unacceptable substitutes?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Forget the oil filter rotor. The plates come right out after the pressure plate screws are removed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

J-T - I’ve got Honda Shop Manual and the Clymer, but both treat it as if the engine is off the bike and being fully stripped for a rebuild. Ordered a Haynes a couple of weeks ago but it’s lost in the postal system.

Mike - thought so. Thanks for confirming.

The spring bolts are 6mm so i’m also assuming about 8 ft.lb. should be fine?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The spring bolts are 6mm so i’m also assuming about 8 ft.lb. should be fine?
Properly tight with good feel for not breaking them off in the posts of the clutch hub - they don't make a difference in spring tension by torque value, so just being tight without damage is all that's necessary

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Yes and please ensure that you use a microtorque wrench! I once used a standard torque wrench lent to me by one of my roommates at the time that was labeled as going as low as 5 ft-lbs, but never clicked at 8 ft-lbs. I ended up shearing off the clutch hub post!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Overnight should be long enough to soak the plates. On the 450 it is possible to install the pressure plate 90 degrees off. This prevents the clutch from engaging. I'm not sure if you can do this on the 350, but make sure it is engaged before you put the side cover on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s great advice thanks. My torque wrench starts at 6 ft.lb, but may just tighten by hand first and see how that feels.

I haven’t read about the pressure plate needing to be installed a particular way up, but thanks for tip off just in case!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts