Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil used rotella t4 15w40, so i have alwayd had a slight chatter/vibration..used to only be in 3rd gear...now im feeling it in other gears..its not all the time..i can down shift to get away from it..sometimes ill just deselerate then accelerate again and it stops...curious if its the oil as that i changed recently ....any suggestions ?

Ty again...this site has been great !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Once again i posted to wrong thread..not sure how to move it...btw 1986 nighthawk 450

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Moved to the engine section.
Could be the oil. Lots of people swear by Rotella but I prefer a motorcycle specific oil. Both are rated as JASO MA but Rotella was designed as a diesel engine lubricant

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'd replace the friction plates of the clutch plus new springs. Measure the steels but most likely they're fine, just sand the surface to clean them up. You'll need a new gasket at the same time.
Make a decision on the oil you want to use and soak the clutch frictions in it for 24 hours before assembly.
Wet clutches soak up the oil they're run in and cleaning out that oil is futile since the best you can do is dilute it out by soaking in a solvent or gasoline for several days.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Is your judder at a constant rpm every time? My balancer chain is not in optimal condition and I get a vibration going past about 4000 with relatively open throttle (slowly going past it's less noticeable). Have you adjusted your balancer? I'd try that then the clutch rebuild. If the rotella t you used says JASO MA on it somewhere it should be okay but possible I guess.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does seem to be constant rpm..i will look into balancer..btw the oil says jaso DH-2 and jaso ma/ma2

·
Registered
805 Posts
It *should* be okay for the oil but like LDR said it's a heavy diesel oil so maybe it's doing something weird. I would still check the balancer first, hopefully an adjustment will make it better.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
You have to pull clutch cover to properly re-adjust balance chain quadrant.
I've never seen one set properly from the factory (we got Honda to supply gasket and labour on them for First Service adjustment at 500 miles)
While cover is off it would be a real good idea to check the steel plates are not warped, friction plates rarely give problems unless someone fitted a Barnett clutch. (I never liked them way too 'grabby', designed for drag racing)
Make sure clutch cable is routed properly and well lubed, the service manual is wrong when it says it doesn't need lubing.
Also make sure cable is adjusted at engine end first and not at bars (not impressed how Honda 'cheaped out on the 400~450 clutch design and operation)
It's also a good idea to modify the clutch hub with some oil holes. It helps 'wash out' any particles and keeps plates a little bit cooler (I've been doing it since late 70's on all my bikes, major arguments with 'senior' techs at shop as they obviously didn't understand concept or how wet clutch really works)
Modern 'superbikes' have been drilling clutch hubs to increase oil flow thorough them for at least last 20 years, one Suzuki had hole sizes enlarged as a performance modification (don't remember if it was 2006 or 2007 GSXR1000?)
If it works on a 180hp bike it will be fine with 30bhp
Rotella isn't a heavy diesel oil, it's just oil with ZDDP levels higher than catalytic converters can handle and a lot of extra detergents.
Probably higher quality than most 'motorcycle' oils from the 80's or 90's?
Diesel engines tend to be a lot larger and more expensive than motorcycle or automotive so even cheap oil has to be high quality .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts