Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my clutch cable with a cable from Common Motor. Most of the install was very easy except for adjusting it..... I removed the case cover, cleaned and regreased the mechanism inside and hooked up the cable. I followed the instructions from my Clymer manuel. I rode it about 60 miles and on my way home, upon pulling the lever in 100%, it would pop and disengage around 85%, if that makes sense. The cable resets if I manually close the lever you can hear it rengage. Ive tried adjusting it here and there but the problem persists. Any suggestions? I took a video but cannot seem to get it to upload here.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It sounds like your new cable is allowing you to over-rotate the clutch mechanism and go past the little divot for the bearings on the ramp disk, thereby popping it over to the next set of ramps and screwing up your cable pull.

Before you readjust it again, try putting the old clutch cable and the new one side by side - if the length of the cable housing is different, that can cause the issue you're having. I couldn't get my replacement cable to adjust properly for the same reason (the new one had too much "throw", in that the cable housing was shorter and allowed you to over-rotate the little bearing-disk inside the case cover). Otherwise, take a look at the angle of the little arm that the clutch cable attaches to - if the angle is too dramatic (e.g., it doesn't point pretty much to the side), that's a good indication that there's something wrong with the cable housing length.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I think you need to add some freeplay into the cable. You could reset it, then you need to have about 10mm play at the ball end of the lever minimum.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Best way to do it is back off the cable adjustments fully first(lots of free-play) then adjust the clutch lifter mechanism. Adjust the screw until the balls are seated in the bottom of the ramps(tight) then back it off quarter to half a turn for running clearance. Finally, adjust the cable adjusters to get the desired free-play. Adjusted this way you get maximum clutch release with minimum effort at the lever.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I had the same problem, the adjustment is sooo sensitive your prob just a hair off right now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well boys and ghouls I think I got it but now running at higher RPMs 3000+ the engine seems to be almost bogging down and skipping, Kind of like when a bike is running out of gas. I'll make a new thread for that.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Clutch cable has 'distorted' throttle cable and is holding it open, pretty common after youve fitted new clutch cable
Majority of aftermarket clutch cables have the outer slightly too short, usually about 1/8" (3mm) but it is possible to get it fitted and adjusted properly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts