Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to this restoration scene as I have just purchased a 65 cb160 in need of attention. I was able to get the engine to run but the clutch did not function when the lever was pulled. When the engine was running and the lever pulled there was a rather loud rattling sound. I took off the right side cover and found that the 4 bolts that hold the basket in place were quite loose and had actually been hitting the inside of the cover (Source of the rattling found-yes there was a bit of aluminum "dust" found inside). I cleaned up the basket, both the steel discs and clutch plates, oil filter, pump etc.. The clutch disc plates were not rusted/stuck together as I suspected. At any rate, I got everything put back together and no improvement with the clutch function and now the kick starter won't catch? (maybe 1 in 10 tries it will). I did try adjusting the clutch but there was still no change. Any advice on the clutch issue as well as the starter would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
On the clutch did you remove the left cover and inspect the adjuster. I guess no one wanted to give you the bad news. The kick start is in the lower case. you will have to pull the motor from the frame and split the cases. It looks like you can turn the motor upside down and just remove the lower case but I have not tried it. I have torn the motors apart and rebuilt them but have not tried to remove just the lower case. Pick up or down load a Honda Full Service manual and read it before going any farther

Bill H.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
"the clutch did not function when the lever was pulled." what does that mean? is the clutch not releasing, or the clutch not grabbing? The kickstarter turns the transmission shaft, if the clutch is slipping the kicker won't turn the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the clutch did you remove the left cover and inspect the adjuster. I guess no one wanted to give you the bad news. The kick start is in the lower case. you will have to pull the motor from the frame and split the cases. It looks like you can turn the motor upside down and just remove the lower case but I have not tried it. I have torn the motors apart and rebuilt them but have not tried to remove just the lower case. Pick up or down load a Honda Full Service manual and read it before going any farther

Bill H.
Hi Bill, thanks for responding. So I did remove the left cover but did not see anything that looked wrong but my untrained eye could easily miss something. The strange thing about the kick starter is that prior to cleaning up the clutch it worked. As for the service manual, I do have a Clymer but it's pretty useless. Open to suggestions for a better one..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"the clutch did not function when the lever was pulled." what does that mean? is the clutch not releasing, or the clutch not grabbing? The kickstarter turns the transmission shaft, if the clutch is slipping the kicker won't turn the engine.
Hi Mike, thanks for the response. So when the clutch lever was pulled it did not release. So no change between when pulled and released.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts