Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a motorcycle riding course since I'm pretty new to riding and it gives my my license and reduces insurance. We all rode their bikes which were mostly Rebel 250's, super light easy bikes. The first thing I noticed was how much bigger the clutch friction point was on those bikes compared to mine and I just wondered if that's natural. My bike will also lurch a bit when I switch it into first with the clutch in all the way. I feel like it started doing this after my first oil change to synthetic but that might just be paranoia. If the clutch is adjusted to pull as much as it can and it's still lurching a tiny bit and engages a tiny bit in neutral when trying to roll, is that normal or should I be adjusting the clutch internally?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Adjust the cable at the right cover first so it has about 2mm of play, then take up any extra slack at the handle bar adjuster. If the bike is 'lurching', it's out of adjustment and isn't fully disengaging.

Reactions: Gobo

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adjust the cable at the right cover first so it has about 2mm of play, then take up any extra slack at the handle bar adjuster. If the bike is 'lurching', it's out of adjustment and isn't fully disengaging.
Thanks. Would that adjustment be made in the engine or still in the cable?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Just the cable.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did what you advised and it's a lot better. The clutch is stiff but I think I need a new cable. The cable is also a bit long for the new handlebars... not to mention that it melted on the exhaust and is open to the elements now and probably drying out. The bike does not lurch when it's warm, but still grabs a bit the first time into first regardless of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The initial cold grab/clunk into 1st gear is pretty much normal. That's the clutch frictions sticking to the steels due to being a wet clutch. You can adjust the case lever end of the cable to a tighter clearance of @1mm. All you're really after there is enough clearance that the lifter is not in contact with the release bearing, there is some mainshaft lateral movement so that's where the 1mm clearance comes from.
Definitely needs a new cable since the jacket is melted and it's stiff. No one makes shorter cables for stock, custom made only. I have shorter bars and use the stock cable, just routed a little different than normal plus I use cable ties to maintain exhaust clearance

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The initial cold grab/clunk into 1st gear is pretty much normal. That's the clutch frictions sticking to the steels due to being a wet clutch. You can adjust the case lever end of the cable to a tighter clearance of @1mm. All you're really after there is enough clearance that the lifter is not in contact with the release bearing, there is some mainshaft lateral movement so that's where the 1mm clearance comes from.
Definitely needs a new cable since the jacket is melted and it's stiff. No one makes shorter cables for stock, custom made only. I have shorter bars and use the stock cable, just routed a little different than normal plus I use cable ties to maintain exhaust clearance
I added a cable tie, also, to stop that from happening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts