Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a 1973 K6 CB450. When I adjust the clutch properly the piece that hold the clutch cable rubs against the sprocket. Before I pull out and replace the clutch, I was wondering if anyone had run into this before.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
It should not hit the sprocket; if it does, when the chain is on it will destroy the end of the lever. Photos would help, but it sounds like the lever is bent towards the sprocket.
Is the steel ball inside the clutch lifter, where the rod presses against it?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^that, or possibly someone previously put an o-ring chain on it, which is wider than a standard 530 chain. if you can post some pictures of the chain/sprocket and the clutch lifter area it might help identify the issue

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Replacing the clutch with new, thicker plates will make the condition worse. Increasing the height of the clutch stack, with new plates, moves the pressure plate out farther and the clutch lifter will need to be adjusted that much closer to the sprocket. One way to fix it would be to make the pushrod longer, possibly by building up the end with weld, and grinding the end back into shape. Another way would be to raise the ball bearing in the clutch lifter by stacking some small flat washers behind it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts