Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have a 1985 cb450sc nighthawk. Previous owner painted side covers and rear cowl to a matte black. I was blasting them with a pressure washer and the decals came off to reveal the original color underneath. The rest of the paint was pretty stubbornly on there and won’t come off with water alone. I’m thinking maybe he used a bonding primer because I see some grey under the black.

Does anybody know of a good way of getting the paint off? I was thinking about some dot 4 brake fluid but I don’t know if that will harm the plastic.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey there,

I'm trying to figure this question out myself. I've seen video on YouTube of people using aircraft stripper on plastic without any problems. I've also heard that there is plastic specific stripper available through autoparts stores. Because I'm painting a tank at the same time I'll be using selfetching primer which i've heard will eat plastic, but I guess there plastic specific primer too? I have a third pannel that already ruined with paint and stickers that I might experiment on here.

·
Registered
1978 CB400A stockish
98 Posts
Definitely don’t put brake fluid on them to strip the paint off. Sanding is your best bet. Remember less is more so start with at least a 400 grit or finer so if you do hit the plastic the amount of actual plastic that is removed will be minimal. As long as you are painting them again anyway I won’t worry about getting all the old paint off. Primer over and paint again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Duplicolor self-etching primer rattle cans (kind of an olive drab) has been good on both ABS and steel for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts