Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, working on a CB160, and the petcock is full of silt.
I’ve scraped away everything visible, but to no avail, the petrol does not flow through the petcock.
I’m guessing there is internal curved routing, that I haven’t been able to reach with my straight cleaning rods.
Help please!
Should I try a solvent, if so which one? Should I leave it to soak?
Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, that is probably your best bet. Let it soak with the heat and sonic vibration for a few hours, everything should come right out.

Otherwise, soaking it in a jar/container with some carb cleaner should work also.

I'm sure other people will pop in with some other tips shortly. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that insight!
Used my wife’s jewellery cleaner, and petrol flows through the tap but only when the lever is horizontal. When it’s vertical, ie ‘on’ , I get the same flow as the ‘off’ position.
Guessing I need a better, more powerful, ultrasonic cleaner, and I think the carbs need it too, since only the left one is getting fuel through. Time to invest I think.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
A small drill bit,held in your fingers, will work to clear the two holes on the top of the petcock body. After removing the lever and the rubber disc under it you can clear the three holes under the disc.

Reactions: DieselKrampus

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike. I can’t see any holes in the top of the petcock body and only two under the rubber ring. I’ve got a really small drill bit, so I’ll give it a go. Thanks again!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought an ultrasonic cleaner, used it this morning, amazed how much silt came out. Refitted to tank, but no petrol added just yet cause I’m cleaning the carbs. Thanks Dieselkrampus and Mike in Idaho!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Racing: Glad to hear you may have solved your petcock problem. An additional idea: when I restored my 160, I used old-fashion pipe cleaners to clean out the petcock passageways--they can be made to bend while working back and forth and will clean out any residue if dipped in carb cleaner/solvent first. You'll know you're done when they come out clean.

Enjoy the ride!

Reactions: Racingt
1 - 7 of 7 Posts