Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
82 450 nighthawk, bought a used muffler and wondering if I should clean some of the carbon out before I install it. thinking of pouring kerosene in and swishing it around and pouring it out, ideas?

·
Registered
641 Posts
82 450 nighthawk, bought a used muffler and wondering if I should clean some of the carbon out before I install it. thinking of pouring kerosene in and swishing it around and pouring it out, ideas?
I would not pour anything flamable in there. Just lightly tap it on a wood block, see how much falls out. Other than that, wipe the outside down, put it on and let the motor blow it out!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had to deal with really bad carbon build-up with an old 87 KTM 350 (2 stroke) Enduro.

If you live in a not so suburban place and are not an environment freak, you could give this a go along with the tapping.

Get a heat gun and create a seal to the exhaust with tin/aluminum foil. Let the gun run for about 2 minutes on high and you will start to see a little smoke coming out of the other end of the exhaust. This will quickly turn into a diesel truck on a drag strip so try not to smoke out your neighbors, and of course, do not leave unattended.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts