Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I use in the tank for my SL350 carbs? I can think of so many things, most of which should probably not be used :rolleyes:

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm curious why no one seems to use the green simple green in the ultrasonic? I have only used the purple and I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
The only thing that should be used in an ultrasonic cleaner is hot water and Dawn dish soap. And DO NOT put anodized/plated steel parts into one. It will remove the anodizing and the steel will rust. I went back to using carb dip.
TOOLS

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Like what Tools said, but I use deionized water. PH is important, Simple Green is on the base side of neutral. This will make the solution caustic and dissolve metal. Tap water can be caustic to. Deionized water and Dawn dish soap will not hurt any material or coating. Hot water works best.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've used Berrymans in my ultrasonic for years and through many carbs. It will, like detergents, stain the alloy if left in over night sometimes. I usually run the ultrasonic 30 min at a time, take parts out to inspect, rinse, brush and blow off with air and repeat if needed. The ultrasonic wasn't needed until I started having so much trouble with todays swill for fuel. The tinyest passages and blind areas and the worst blend of gel-scale-corrosion I've ever seen will benefit from the ultrasonic. One thing for sure it won't hurt your parts, only the solution used will do that. Oh, if your machine has heat I would leave it off for starters, it seems to accelerate dark staining on alloy parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
BTW... the dark staining on parts from cleaners can be brushed and rinsed off but it's a real pain if you want the carb to look nice and new. The water based detergents seem to be worst offenders for me, prob the phosphates. I have zinc shot blasted parts afterwards if I forgot and left parts in too long. But the extra cleaning is busy work and I despise busy work...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm reminded of a story a police armorer once told me about a weapons inspection he performed. An officer had lots of whiteish slimey scum in his weapon. When asked if he cleaned it, he said yes - with Cascade in his dish washer! Hmm, Cascade, carbs, dishwasher? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,666 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sodium metasilicate, used in many household cleaners. TSP also. Good in a cleaning solution, maybe the non ionic surfactants help in keeping it from darkening metals? I'd like to try some.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have been using 50/50 distilled water and Awesome from a dollar store recommended by fasterspider on VJMOG. Set the Ultrasonic to 130 degrees for 1 hour. I like it because it is non-toxic. Is there any other cleaner that is non-toxic and environmentally friendly?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts