Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Turned out great. Does it run as good as it looks ?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Absolutely stunning mate, job well done. Soooo... are ya scared to ride it off road now :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for having a look. A little back story, I found this in my father-in-law's storage shed. When I found it the rear wheel was off and it was laying in a pile and had been for the last 30 years or so. All the parts were there though and the bike only has 2900 miles on it.

I don't have a bunch of cash so I did what I could in an on frame restoration. Cleaned the carbs (boiled them in lemon juice), fixed a slightly torn diaphragm (tiny smudge of gorilla glue), repainted the exhaust, polished the crank cases (bought a cheap buffer/grinder from Harbor Freight), cleaned the tank (it was rusted badly, I found some toilet bowl cleaner called "the works" which is an acid, made it friggen look like new on the inside), rebuilt the petcock, timing, valve clearance, new plugs, some of that seafoam stuff, new oil and now she starts first kick. I'm no mechanic, so this forum has been really helpful to me.

The Works: http://www.dollartree.com/cleaning-...z-Toilet-Bowl-Cleaner/212c256p11759/index.pro
My Buffer/Grinder http://www.harborfreight.com/garage...buffer/8-inch-bench-grinder-buffer-94327.html

Thanks again for looking.

And yes, I don't really want to go off-roading with it. :) Not yet anyway.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Snap!! Well, sort of. Here's mine - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=74472.msg856814#msg856814

Nice work there, fella. Were the exhausts gloss originally? I'm trying to work out what finish I should be going for on mine - matt or gloss.

Hope mine runs as well as yours does. I'm just waiting on carb overhaul kits for mine right now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The original exhaust color was a bit hard to tell. I tried to match it as close as I could with Hi-Temp paint I found at the automotive store. I first painted them a flat-black and then used a satin clear coat on them. I don't think the originals were gloss black. But that's just a guess.

You have a great looking bike. Your color match is nearly dead on.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm sure it didn't look that good in 1970. Very nice.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey - thanks guys. As you can see from the project thread, it's been a lot of work getting this far.

I've used a flat black on my exhausts, but haven't put them on yet 'cos it still hasn't really hardened. I sprayed them up weeks ago, but the coating seems to stay fragile until heat cured. Right now the float valves are overdue, so it's leaking a bit. Wanna get that sorted before putting the exhausts anywhere near it. That said, I've just read a post somewhere that suggests using toothpaste to lap in leaking float valves, so if my replacements take much longer to arrive, I might just give that a go.

As for the paint colour, I turned the gas tank over when I first got it and found there were a couple of good, strong unfaded sections. I just told the paint guys to get as close as they could - and it seems like they got it spot on. Since the photo was taken, I've put the badges on the tank, fitted the skid plate and done almost all of the rest of they tidying up.

It's now just a case of biding my time until it's fuel tight. Still yet to hear it running . . . can't tell you how hard it is to be this patient

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Beautiful bike. I actually remember when these were in the dealer's showrooms new. The exhaust was stove paint black. A little brighter than flat. Very much what an old cast iron stove would look like.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
the-chauffeur said:
Hey - thanks guys. As you can see from the project thread, it's been a lot of work getting this far.

I've used a flat black on my exhausts, but haven't put them on yet 'cos it still hasn't really hardened. I sprayed them up weeks ago, but the coating seems to stay fragile until heat cured. Right now the float valves are overdue, so it's leaking a bit. Wanna get that sorted before putting the exhausts anywhere near it. That said, I've just read a post somewhere that suggests using toothpaste to lap in leaking float valves, so if my replacements take much longer to arrive, I might just give that a go.

As for the paint colour, I turned the gas tank over when I first got it and found there were a couple of good, strong unfaded sections. I just told the paint guys to get as close as they could - and it seems like they got it spot on. Since the photo was taken, I've put the badges on the tank, fitted the skid plate and done almost all of the rest of they tidying up.

It's now just a case of biding my time until it's fuel tight. Still yet to hear it running . . . can't tell you how hard it is to be this patient
Old fashioned brightening tooth paste was abrasive. Seems if you wanted bright white teeth you needed to sand off the offending layer of enamel. It was great for polishing plastic. Modern whiting tooth paste does not have the abrasives. You can do the same thing with polishing compound. Be sure to get all of the old compound out. You wouldn't want it going through the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts