Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1967 CL77

I ordered new bushings for the "main" swing arm but I can't seem to find new bushings for the rear swing where the lower shocks attach. Every where I call no luck. Anyone have any ideas for a replacement?
thanks

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Did a quick search and found a lot of discussion about them and they aren't available from the usual suppliers. One website said they were the same OD as the CB160 but the bolt size was different - are the bolts for the shocks 8mm or 10mm? I'm wondering if these might fit, they show for the CB72/77 (but there are others here who know the 305s better than I do)

https://4into1.com/genuine-honda-rear-shock-lower-bushing-40548-268-000/

here's a link to a better catalog than is shown at cmsnl.com

http://www.scramblercycle.com/uploads/3/8/9/5/3895611/1966_honda_cl77_parts_catalogue.pdf

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom ....
Its an 8mm bolt. I can't really get the ID of the frame yet until I get the rest of the old bushing out. My best guess at this time is around 22mm.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
And sadly, nowhere could I find any measurements for the bushings available. Strange that the CB72/77 uses a different bushing, and that the CL has a smaller 8mm bolt when the 350s and 450s use 10mm

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is what I did to fix the problem. I ordered a high density polyethylene rod and made my own. Its easy to cut and work with on a lathe.

IMG_9632.jpg

IMG_9639.jpg

IMG_9640.jpg

IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_9643.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Seems a bit pricey for a 1" long piece, but still cheaper than other alternatives if you could find them. Interesting that they discuss the properties of the plastic but don't actually rate this stock against other materials. It would be interesting to see how it stacks up compared to other materials when measuring tensile strength, wear resistance, toughness, hardness and impact resistance - all the categories they described but didn't give actual ratings for... though I'm sure it will be fine for your purposes, it's not like you're going all Bud and Dave Ekins with your CL77 :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
Seems a bit pricey for a 1" long piece, but still cheaper than other alternatives if you could find them. Interesting that they discuss the properties of the plastic but don't actually rate this stock against other materials. It would be interesting to see how it stacks up compared to other materials when measuring tensile strength, wear resistance, toughness, hardness and impact resistance - all the categories they described but didn't give actual ratings for... though I'm sure it will be fine for your purposes, it's not like you're going all Bud and Dave Ekins with your CL77 :D
I think the listing is for a one foot long piece (1')

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes, it was one foot long. 12" If you cut it right thats at least 10 new bushings. The question is ...... do you drill the hole to accept just the 8mm bolt or the spacer with the bolt?

The OD of the bushing is 20mm. The OD of the spacer that the bolt goes through is 12mm. The OD of the bolt is 8mm.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
We use UHMW plastic in logging machinery in some high wear, hard to lube, locations. Vastly superior to nylon or urethane bushings in wear resistance and lubricity.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After 300+ miles on the CL77 last weekend at the 2018 MotoGiro in Knoxville TN the bushing looks like its a success. I just wanted to follow up with a photo.

IMG_9686.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts