Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I just purchased a CL77 as a project bike. Won't be a show bike but we'll make it a nice presentable rider. It is a project. When we purchased it the only way we could get it to idle smoothly or run smoothly was to have the seller keep the battery charger connected. When we'd run it up to what I'm assuming was 3-4000 rpm and disconnect the charger it was only running on the left cylinder. Confirmed it by pulling right plug wire off and it made no difference UNTIL we reconnected the battery charger then it ran better, but not perfect. The seller says he put a new battery in and it ran fine, but that was a few weeks ago. Now it doesn't.

So I learned to ride on a 305 back in 75, and have ridden CB450, GS850G, then went fuel injection and electronic ignition on a R850R and now on a DL650 V-Strom.
Also experienced in antique cars, and just a weak battery wouldn't keep most of the "analog bikes and cars" from running once started.

Looking for how to fix it ideas from current experience as we start to build our data base.

I've started a search for a service and owners manual.

Thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sounds like a charging system problem. You should first hook a voltage meter to the battery while it's running, and check to see if voltage rises with rpm's increasing. Could be as simple as dirty connections between the stator wires and main harness. Could be a few other things as well.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
double check all connections especially the grounds.

rectifiers are commonly the week link on old Honda's charging systems.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Might want to try using a KNOWN good battery as well. If it's on its way out - or if the level in one or more chambers is too low - then it may not accept a decent charge.

Even if the seller was truthful in stating that he installed a new battery recently (and I like to think the best of people unless I have been given reasons to think otherwise, but...), he might not have filled it properly (not enough distilled water, used tap water), might not have charged it enough, might have charged it at too high a rate (used an automotive-type charger that does not have a "low" setting which is no greater than one amp and pooched it or - regardless of the amperage - boiled/evaporated too much liquid)... It might have been a faulty battery to begin with.

[EDIT: Might not be a bad idea to have the battery load-tested at a shop or auto parts store.]

It's probably not something so simple and easy... But it'd be a pain if it turned out to be - after you rebuilt the entire electrical system, lol.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
+1 for MDM and: these bikes need a fully charged battery to run correctly. check the battery voltage with the battery disconnected. It should be above 12.7 volts. If not, it is not fully charged. Also, the lead acid variety MC battery is a tempormental best. They are very easy to kill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts