Honda Twins banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Every place I've asked has said that they used to have blanks, but ran out years ago... I really wish there was a way to replace the entire lock cylinder in the ignition switch, but I think it would destroy the switch in the process.

Also found while changing my tires a couple days ago that one of the rims is slightly bent, I think I'll have to get a new pair of rims now too...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Finally found a replacement headlight bucket with everything in it, so I should hopefully be finishing up the electrical system aside from the ignition switch this weekend.

I decided I'm definitely going to replace the seat with an original one at some point, but I'm struggling to see what the difference actually is between the two seat types. My bike doesn't have the original seat and the parts diagram isn't too helpful...

I'm also going to finish installing the tires this weekend, and after that I'll take it for a ride and see whether or not I need to replace the rim(s)...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just got the bike back together with new tires, a stock headkight bucket, speedometer, etc, and I finished up the electrical system. Thre the tank and seat on and took it for a ride and all seems good aside from the headlight not working. Anything I should look for on that or just clean all the connections? Also decided to order a stock fender for it too. I really liked the way the one on it looked, but it rubbed the tire badly and seems to be meant for a bike with a much taller tire, so I couldn't get it to fit too well

Still looking for an ignition switch that isn't hacked up for this bike, if anyone happens to have one or might have a lead on one, as well as a fork lock too

·
Registered
166 Posts
Finally found a replacement headlight bucket with everything in it, so I should hopefully be finishing up the electrical system aside from the ignition switch this weekend.

I decided I'm definitely going to replace the seat with an original one at some point, but I'm struggling to see what the difference actually is between the two seat types. My bike doesn't have the original seat and the parts diagram isn't too helpful...

I'm also going to finish installing the tires this weekend, and after that I'll take it for a ride and see whether or not I need to replace the rim(s)...
Hello, the seat and frame for CL77 were changed at frame number CL77- 1033482. The 2 types do not interchange. Photo has underside of "late" type, with very different front bracket. Good Luck. Hondajohn.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
If you look closely at the front seat mount area on the frame pictured here: https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partsl...ler-1965-usa305-frame_bighu0093f8s06_e53e.gif , this is the early style mounting, basically a pair of tabs holding a rod in place and two forked tabs on the front of the seat that engage that rod. The later seat is, as in the picture above, a rubber block, shaped to fit around a bracket on the frame. Hopefully, the PO hasn't cut the front mount off to mount that different seat. Kinda hard to tell, looking at your first post.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok, awesome. So it looks like I have the later style seat. I'll be ordering an original seat at some point here.

Just got it back together today and all seems good as far as the electrical goes, aside from the headlight. I'm going to go through and clean the connections. Anything specific I should look for as far as crossed wired or anything since I get no life out of the headlight whatsoever?

Also, weirdly, with the key in the first position it runs fine, but in the second position it just shuts off. Anything I should look for? I think I have all the wires ran correctly.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Cloud

All seems good as far as running, just have to replace the throttle cable because it's deteriorating and doesn't return to idle fully, and I have to get the fender and taillight back on the rear. Still some misc bits and pieces to fix, but it's about 80% of the way to going back on the road

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Third position on the key switch is park light position, shuts off the engine and leaves the tail light on only (and you can take the key out).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Worked on the bike a bit more today, seems like the wiring is all good, but I can't seem to figure out the headlight. Gonna start checking voltages tomorrow, any suggestions where I should start? I also have to double check and make sure the stator is actually making voltage. I think it is because after 20 miles of riding it didn't die, whereas when it wasn't charging I got barely 5 miles out of a full battery

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Power into the headlight switch via the green wire , power out to the dimmer switch via the brown wire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Power into the headlight switch via the green wire , power out to the dimmer switch via the brown wire.
I made a new thread in the electrical section, I'm having a heck of a time with this headlight. The bike is also running strangely now, I'll have to tune the carburetors after I get the new throttle cable in the mail. Seems like the left side is missing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Worked on my bike more, I'm nearly finished now. Just waiting for the seat to come in the mail because the seat on it now doesn't fit well at all with the stock fender, but aside from that I just have to mount the saddlebags, make a couple brackets for the side covers, get it painted over the winter, and give it a tune up in the spring when the weather is warm. It doesn't seem to be running very well on the left cylinder right now.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

21 - 32 of 32 Posts