Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

Just working on a silver CL77 and was needing help on identifying it. All silver, even front fender... rear fender is chrome. No ID tag on the harness.

Frame ID; CL77-1044772
Engine ID; CL77E-1044833

Any and all help is appreciated.

slic

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The CL77 was made between '65 and '68, but all VINs were of the same group - CL77-10xxxxx. The engine number isn't relevant in most states, they generally go by frame number. I'm not well-versed in 305s, but your frame number looks to be on the higher side which would probably put that one closer to '68 than '65

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
I hope the letter "E" in your frame number is a typo, otherwise you COULD be from a titled by engine number state (at the time) and your actual engine number does not match.....Possibly invalidating the paperwork.....
With the E in the frame number eliminated, the numbers are certainly close enough to be an original factory combination ..........

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Like Steve says the "E" designates engine number. The last production run of CL77s had chrome fenders and a seam down the center of the fuel tank. They had dual leading shoe brakes front and rear, a welded-on muffler and rubber covered front foot pegs. The earliest models had smaller, single leading shoe brakes, a slip-on muffler, all steel front pegs and the center of the tank was smooth(no seam). Best way to date it is to remove the tank and look for a build date on the wire harness. Bill Silver, aka "Mr. Honda" has a facebook page and may be able help narrow it down.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the confusion. The frame # is CL77-1044772. The tag on the wire harness is missing as well. No problem, I will try to contact Mr Honda.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This VIN represents a 1967 build date. Your front fender is correct, chrome fenders were not applied until CL77-1056274. You should have the late oval tail light as those were applied @ VIN CL77-1043098.

Dick

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1968 305 Scrambler - VIN CL771044657. Would like to learn how to decode the VIN to know several things about this bike, such as what color paint it originally was. It is currently blue, but the frame is black.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 1968 305 Scrambler - VIN CL771044657. Would like to learn how to decode the VIN to know several things about this bike, such as what color paint it originally was. It is currently blue, but the frame is black.
Hello, the VIN on a CL77 is a production sequence number. It does not have any "codes" to ID paint colors, production date, or model year. There are many changes made during the production of the CL 77 and the frame or engine numbers are used to ID which part number is used on your bike. Many parts had changes during the production.
Your VIN is a "late model" and most but not all of the revised parts were used on that VIN. Frames came in black and red, fenders came painted silver, and chrome (last models sold). There were also some rare models with orange metallic and blue metallic tank and side covers, a small number of blue frame and the scheme of the red frame models. Changes to the CL77 include, brakes, forks, fenders, fuel tank and petcock, seat, front and rear footpegs, chainguard, tail light, both fenders, many internal engine parts had changes to things like the spline depth for crankshaft primary gears, transmission gears and front sprocket.
If you plan to repair or restore your CL77 a parts catalog would be needed to ID correct part numbers for your bike. I do recall a very few late production models with blue / black color combo. Due to the lack of paint codes there are several "correct" choices for paint colors. Generally frames are black or red, and fenders are painted silver or chrome, but there were a few variants. Good Luck, John

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, the VIN on a CL77 is a production sequence number. It does not have any "codes" to ID paint colors, production date, or model year. There are many changes made during the production of the CL 77 and the frame or engine numbers are used to ID which part number is used on your bike. Many parts had changes during the production.
Your VIN is a "late model" and most but not all of the revised parts were used on that VIN. Frames came in black and red, fenders came painted silver, and chrome (last models sold). There were also some rare models with orange metallic and blue metallic tank and side covers, a small number of blue frame and the scheme of the red frame models. Changes to the CL77 include, brakes, forks, fenders, fuel tank and petcock, seat, front and rear footpegs, chainguard, tail light, both fenders, many internal engine parts had changes to things like the spline depth for crankshaft primary gears, transmission gears and front sprocket.
If you plan to repair or restore your CL77 a parts catalog would be needed to ID correct part numbers for your bike. I do recall a very few late production models with blue / black color combo. Due to the lack of paint codes there are several "correct" choices for paint colors. Generally frames are black or red, and fenders are painted silver or chrome, but there were a few variants. Good Luck, John
Great info, thanks so very much.
Late model yes, it’s a 1968. Fenders are steel chromed – so, as you say this was one of the “last models sold”. How high did the VIN #s go in 68 ?
I’m hoping it’s a rare blue, but the photos I’ve seen of the blue Scrams have blue frames – mine has a black frame ? By saying that you “recall a very few late production models with blue / black color combo” do you mean that Honda did some blue bikes with a black frame?
TKX again

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
The latest ones came in candy blue, candy orange and silver tanks& air cleaner covers. Those tanks would have had a seam down the center and no gas crossover line on the bottom. As far as I know, the frames/headlights were all black.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts