Honda Twins banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Today a Roller

Got to a roller condition over the last couple of days and finished the engine detail. I am a little worried over the front tire and fender fitment but will cross that bridge when I come to it. Taking the rest of the weekend off and not going to damn thing, except think about how I am going to get that motor in without scratching the hell out of the frame. I am going to pull all of the exhaust studs and cover the rails with pipe foam plus eat a large amount of Wheaties on the day of install. I couldn't do the lay down method because of the welded shift lever. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, barely......

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
It's too late now, of course, but the best plan to avoid scratching the fresh frame paint is to lay the frame over the engine before assembling the rest of the front and rear end parts. Your progress does look very nice

·
Registered
680 Posts
Wow, your CL looks absolutely fantastic! Great job!

... I couldn't do the lay down method because of the welded shift lever...
Can’t you cut wooden blocks to put underneath the side of the shift lever to make it work? It would be a shame to scratch the frame.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
They are one again. It wasn't too bad, a couple of slight scratches that can be touched up easily.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
A few more baby steps...

Things are starting to turn a little silver gray. I did the tank and side covers using 2K clear mainly for the potential gas contact with tank. Yes there is a motor back in the frame. Need to prep the fenders, install the clutch cover, and start on the wiring. Just never enough time.......

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Coming along nicely... it looks really good, britman. It's so hard to think about a better color combo than the red and silver...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Getting closer

Got rear brakes, stop light, and everything to do with illumination works. Rear fender, chain guard, new rear tire, (front still waiting its turn), too much of a clearance problem with the Ensign Trials, going to end up on CL. Starting to look like a motorcycle......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I’m catching up on your build thread today. Very nice work! I’ll be sure to stay tuned in as it comes together further

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Final Post

Well I could not wait any longer. Put a little corn free gas in the tank, blocked off the crossover pipe, (still waiting for a Motion Pro quick disconnect), checked everything one final time, fired on the second kick. I fattened up the carbs a little for the Snuff's and believe I am somewhat close. There are a couple of issues I still need to address, weeping right fork seal, (I knew I should have replaced them both when the forks were off, but somehow that got overlooked,) a finicky petcock that you have to hit the exact sweet spot for good flow, and a little fender rub on my brought back from the junk pile front fender brace. Overall I am happy, I will head to the DMV Thursday and tag the "Old Girl". Yes she does smoke a little, I still need to address the welded on shift lever, but you what, I am riding the crap of it for the rest of the summer and save some fun for the garage winter months. Thanks one and all for the suggestions and input given during this process, safe riding to all...

Virginia George

Attachments

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
"I still need to address the welded on shift lever"
It's not the correct shift lever anyway(they didn't have a rubber cover on them,they were all metal) so you don't to have feel bad if you have grind it down to remove it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Bike is registered and racking up a few miles when the heat here in good old Virginia gets below 95 degrees which hasn't happened lately. I did develop a right side oil leak, turns out the seal behind the rotor was the culprit. I went ahead and replaced them all on that side and no more drips. I have a good used shift pedal and drum mechanism but think I will add that to the winter time list of projects. Going to put the wrenches up and ride for awhile. The left side plug seems to run a little rich but will figure that out when the temperature drops back down to make final dial in a little more accurate.....

41 - 56 of 56 Posts