Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1967 CL77, Motor # CL77E 1037884-Frame #CL1037837. Low mileage, clean title, paper history showing I am the third owner as of today. Looks rough, pieces stuck back on from a previous dis-assembly by the seller. (I had to zip tie several parts on today on the ride home from Kentucky to Virginia.) Everything appears to be there and it is said to have last ran a couple of years ago. The exhaust is clean and the mufflers has no rust through. Of course the front fender has been cut, and the rear one has paint so it is probably a replacement. It had sat for a number of years after purchase by the original owner until being bought by the gentlemen I purchased it from. I am completely puzzled by the tail light, can anyone please advise if this is OEM, there are no extra fender holes, and the cut out in the tail light fits the grab bar perfectly and looks factory cut. Bike has great compression, just from kick over so far, haven't put a gauge on it. This one is staying with me, I have been looking for quite a while and this is the absolute last one being added to my collection. Some pictures attached and lift was thrown in for free, the seller is no longer doing bikes. (Makes his living building shoe box Chevy's.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
That tail light should be oval-shaped with a frame-colored licence plate bracket. Looks like a late one, welded muffler with the long heat shield, rubber covered front foot pegs. The gas tank should have a seam in the center and no gas crossover hose. Nice find.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Britman,

Looks to me like you found a great candidate for a restoration! Rough, yes, but it looks very complete, which is the key. CL77 parts are quite spendy.
You're going to have fun with that build. Taillight appears to be off a later model.
I lusted after the 305 Scrambler when I was 14 years young. Never got one, moved right into Triumph 650s when I was 16.

Good show....

Michael
Mpls

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"moved right into Triumph 650s when I was 16"
Saw this on a tee shirt once: "Triumph, turns a mere mortal man into a mechanic"
I just might have to have that made into a tee-shirt to wear when one of the Triumphs goes out. Just a little update, after a good cleaning I did find some aluminum under the grease. I did also find the PO had disconnected every wire connection on the machine, but he did label them with numbers. I am sure he had a schematic the numbers matched, but that did not come with the sale. Fortunately I kept all of my 305 manuals and literature from a couple of restorations from years back, and with an addition of a new key and switch I did manage to get fire to the coils and points. I have also lined the tank with Caswell, so I may install a couple of carb kits, some new plug wires and plugs, set the valves and timing, some new dino oil and filter clean, and give it a kick prior to putting everything apart to make it pretty. I have also scored some fairly rare parts to include, a skid plate and working OEM horn. Still no luck on a complete front fender or stock tail light, but the as we all know the fun is in the chase..........

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Congrats on the latest addition to your collection. If this will be the last one as you’ve said earlier, it definitely is a classy completion point. The mufflers lool great! Are you planning to keep the original colour or repaint it? IMO the CL77 in silver/red is one of the most beautiful bikes ever built.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the latest addition to your collection. If this will be the last one as you’ve said earlier, it definitely is a classy completion point. The mufflers lool great! Are you planning to keep the original colour or repaint it? IMO the CL77 in silver/red is one of the most beautiful bikes ever built.

The simple path would be silver and black, but I am really leaning to the red frame look. I agree it really sets a bike off and shows the lines and stance of the Scrambler. Attached is a photo of one I did a number of years back, can you say should have kept one.....

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good Day Today

Spent a few hours on the wiring. Some things removed and replaced, lamp cord, wire nuts, wires going nowhere and others needed to go somewhere. I just bought some cheap bullet connectors and ran the wires long because I do have a new main harness to install after frame paint. The stator wires were in pretty bad shape, but I think they are salvageable. Best note of the day, ran a couple of new plug wires and laid the old plugs on the motor with a jump battery hooked up and kicked, wala, prettiest spark on both plugs you ever seen. One element of making the "Old Girl" run is present. I went through receipts today, on just the little bits and pieces I have bought the total amount was scary. I have the 72 CL350 pictured on Craigs and Cycle trader up for sale to add to the restoration fund. there are some weird folks out there looking at motorcycles. I think I am going with Nigerian Prince who has a third party check......

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,294 Posts
I'm guessing most of the Nigerian Princes out there looking for a bike are on Craigslist... but I have gotten a couple of going-nowhere "interests" in my V65, which is currently on Cycle Trader for the second time in a month or so. so few trustworthy people left... good to see progress on your CL77

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sold the CL350 yesterday to a pretty young lady who is going to make it her first street bike. I won't have to exist on a diet of potted meat and crackers to continue on the CL77. I am on the fence about the frame color currently. Black is original and so much simpler in this case since I am doing all of the paint in house, but red keeps calling. I hoping to try and kick the bike over in the next week or two. Carb kits are on order, the internals were really are not the worst I have ever seen. The oil slinger had a fair amount of crud, probably the first cleaning. I am sorting out a cracked oil pump drain hole, but the screen was really clean. Damn I hope the engine is good......

·
Registered
541 Posts
... Black is original and so much simpler in this case since I am doing all of the paint in house, but red keeps calling......
Why making it simple when you can make it difficult? :) A look at pictures from your previous 77 could perhaps answer that question. It looked absolutely awesome!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why making it simple when you can make it difficult? :) A look at pictures from your previous 77 could perhaps answer that question. It looked absolutely awesome!
I am trying to remember what color I used on that frame, I know it was from True Value and rattle can. I have everything working light wise, after I finally figured out the position of the switches. Still looking for a tail light and front fender that doesn't require a kidney and third mortgage on the house.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not a great day today. Got everything set up for an initial kick over except for the right carb kits which should be here by Monday. Battery installed, valves adjusted, timing set, upon looking closely at the shifter, damned if someone hasn't brazed the thing to the shaft. I would imagine it got gauled out as they have a tendency to do, but talk about overkill on the fix...... They is no way to pull the side cover currently without chiseling the the weld loose. It is not leaking and the clutch feels fairly decent so for the time being I am placing this on hold until I do some research and see how the bike actually runs. As Lloyd Bridges said in Airplane, "I picked a fine time to quit drinking"......

·
Registered
497 Posts
Pardon me sticking my beak in here, but they probably did it because a) they were lazy/tight/whatever and b) it doesn't prevent sidecover removal. If the kicker is brazed to the mount outside of the cover, the only problem you're going to encounter is separating the kickstart pedal from the cover.

As I'm finding with my '77, Honda made some interesting (read expensive) design choices and one of those was to have a completely dry right side to the engine. So under the cover, there's a couple of components like the kickstart return spring and the clutch actuator mechanism. What that also meant was they could keep the exposed end of the shaft the kickstart mounts to (can never remember whether its the main- or counter-) very short. I made the same mistake and thought the shaft would extend to the outside of the whole assembly - as it does on later engines - but it doesn't; it stops inside the right cover.

What I think you're looking at is a sub-spindle (if that's the right term for it) that the kickstart pedal is mounted to. That sub-spindle then mounts to the main spindle behind the cover - it's the same splined slip-on type joint that was used later in the kickstarters themselves. Maybe these will help . . .

In order to braze the kickstart mechanism to the spindle, you'd need to do it with the cover off . . .

. . . and a quick word of warning if you're thinking of delving into the engine at any point. The camshaft is like nothing you've ever seen before, and the guides to how to get it out are woeful. Whatever you do, do not try to drift the right hand end out by sticking something into the open centre. Trust me on this - it's a very bad idea that gets very expensive very fast. I may start a project thread on my CL rebuild and if I do, I'll explain more with pictures . . .

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't think he was talking about the kickstart being welded, but the shifter. I've run into that also, and had to replace the shaft. At least that can be done without too much work on the 305 motor, but you still have to get that shifter off first. Definitely plan on replacing the oil seal, since it will definitely get buggered up in the process.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts