Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of putting on new cables and I got to the clutch and found that I have to take the cover off to access the end.
No biggie I thought until I had to drill off the screw heads because someone stripped them using a standard Phillips not a JIS driver.
Anyway I got it off and am cleaning off the years of grease and debris.
One thing I noticed is the adjustor is super tight in the housing. I greased it and it's still a tight interference fit. Should it rotate freely?
From what the manual says the bolt keeps it from rotating. Mine will not turn unless it's a little recessed and I can't leave it that way for usage.
Clutch Adjustment

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'd take it all apart and clean the entire mechanism and cover, since you're there. They fit snugly into the cover, hence the reason the gigantic "flat-screwdriver slot" gets nicked up a bit sometimes when adjusting. When you loosen the bolt to allow the adjuster to move, loosen it an extra turn (but not too much or it will come out of the clamp fork) and you can tap on the head of the bolt a little to be sure the fork has released from the adjuster housing. Just make sure it's clean and lightly lubed when you put it back together so it will rotate as easily as the factory tolerances on the parts will allow

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am done cleaning it. there's no dirt left inside the mechanism. The bolt is out and it still won't rotate. I think the adjustor slot was designed for a curved tool such as a Dzus. I already did a number on mine. I'm thinking someone bashed the cover and it may be slightly out of round. I'll use some heavy scotch brite and see if I can make clearance. Also the oil seal has a broken edge. that part isn't available so what ca be done with it?
Thanks

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The seals are available, I've seen them while looking for seals for my 450. Try 4into1.com. Hopefully cleaning up the outside of the adjuster and the opening in the cover will give it more clearance. You could use some emery paper on them, you'd have to really work at it to make the clearance too large

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Also the oil seal has a broken edge. that part isn't available so what ca be done with it?
I'm assuming you mean the seal for the clutch lifter mechanism - a quick search of 4into1.com shows the seal in this set, cheap enough and you'll eventually have a need for most of them anyway. I've bought and used these, they work fine

Engine Oil Seal Kit - Honda CB450K CL450K CB500T

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes thats the seal on the end of the adjustor.
I never saw that site before thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts