Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Up for sale is my 1972 CL450 race bike, with my collection on spare parts. Here is a list of what that includes:

1972 CL450 fully prepped race bike with title:
This bike has been modified for racing with both AHRMA and WERA race organizations, in the production lightweight class. I raced it from 2010 to 2013, but have moved on to a different class. The bike has been in storage all sine the end of the 2013 season. Here are the details of each individual system:

Frame:
Overall, the frame structure has not been altered. However, the passenger peg brackets were removed. The current foot pegs have been altered for clearance. The rear suspension mounting points were altered to allow eye-to-eye shocks. A lot of the small tabs were removed for weight. The tank is custom with the knee indents (painted black.) The whole frame was stripped down 3 years ago and painted. It's definitely a "race" paint job, meaning it only looks good from the track. The seat was modified to get the rider to sit lower. Its the original seat pan.

FR Suspension and brake:
The FR forks are off of a late CB450 or similar model. They were rebuild, but that's it. The original springs are still being used. The FR brake caliber has been rebuilt. New pads beginning of last race season. The disc was drilled out and resurfaced the beginning of last season also. The FR master cylinder is a 14mm Shindy, new beginning of last race season. Also has steel braked line.

RR Suspension and brake:
The rear shocks are KYB rebuild-able shocks.They have been re-valved and a different spring for my weight (200-190 lbs). The rear brake shoes were replaced 2 years ago.

Engine:
The current engine in the bike is a custom build engine by me. I raced it last year for one year (4 race weekends, 1 track day.) It has a 500T crank in CL450 cases and cylinder (took some machining.) The cylinders were bored over to 72 mm. The pistons are custom JE pistons, with 12.5:1 compression ratio. The head has a valve job, where the valves had to be re-cut to seal correctly. I then ground a tooth of the torsion bars to bring the valve tension back up. However, the torsion bars were not moved from their original location (there is one modification to switch them left and right to get even more tension out of them. I did NOT do this because it can cause the bars to break.) I also installed are brand new OEM chain chain. Cams are stock. I switched out the transmission for the cb500t transmission.

Ignition:
It has the Dyna S ignition (its the goldwing ignition, modified to fit the 450's) with Dynatek ignition coils and wires. (This ignition works great, really makes the bike start easier and run stronger.) It is also running a total loss ignition system. I have a small battery that I used. It could last about 1/2 a weekend (full day of practice, and 1 race) before I would charge it. No starter, I would bump start.

Wheels and Tires:
Still running the large 19" on the FR, 18" on the rear. The FR tire probably need replacing, the rear tire was new beginning of last season. Both wheels had all wheel bearings replaced.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but that is the basics for the race bike. Here is what I have for spares:

Complete stock engine:
I raced this engine in 2011 and 2012. It was ball honed (stock bore) with new rings. All new gaskets. I then just carried it around as a back up for the 2013 season. Again, no starter.

Spare engine covers, gearing, and foot pegs are some of the race spares I have.

Spare Frames:
1971 CL450 frame (no title.) This one is all stock. It has wheels with it (I think the rear is currently apart.) No Tank.
1975 CB500T frame (no title.) This frame is all stock. Wheels and fenders (FR fender is in really good condition.) Seat is OK, Tank has little rust inside, but the outside has large dents.

Additional Spare:
3 Starters, spare set of CL450 carbs and CB500T carbs, spare parts of the cb500t engine (head, cases, etc.) CL450 exhaust, side covers, blinkers, and other odds parts.

I'm located in Northern WI. I will be traveling to 2 more AHRMA races this year (Miller and Barber probably.) I also travel to southern WI/Northern IL often and could deliver if we worked something out.

I am looking to sell everything as a package deal initially. If I can't sell it that way, I would part it out. Looking to get $3000 for everything. It would be a great way for someone to get into vintage racing, everything is there to get started.

Please feel free to email with questions. I can get more pictures if needed. Right now the spare CL450 frame is in a different storage. The one pictured is the CB500T.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Emailed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still for sale. Lowering the price, cleaning out the garage to make room for other projects. Race Bike $2,000 (titled frame.) Spare motor $500, If looking for other parts (carbs, wheels, starters, frames), let me know. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts