Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first four stroke project. Have done several Suzuki two stroke projects. I have project logs on Suzuki Two Strokes website under the same user name.

Starting with a rather nice 1972 CL450. Will try to keep it as original as I can.
CL450-0078 by jabcb, on Flickr

Doesn’t look quite so nice with a few bits removed.
CL450-0852 by jabcb, on Flickr

A bit of a mess under the tank. This will need some work but I’m not sure what it should look like yet.
CL450-0853 by jabcb, on Flickr
CL450-0855 by jabcb, on Flickr

The gas tank inside is really rusty but not the worst I’ve seen. Not sure if I’ll give Metal Rescue a try or use a liner.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Does look pretty clean on the surface - paint seems to be in great shape, pipes look good too. Hopefully Metal Rescue can clean up the inside. As far as the stuff under the tank... minor relocation of things is all that looks necessary from the pictures. Turn signal flasher is dangling, should be around the horn bracket area, clutch cable needs to be routed on the inside of the left carb (but forward enough to not interfere with the left throttle cable movement) and the plug caps have been changed to 90° versions. The plug wires will work in the clips provided (attached to the upper rear top motor mount bolts) if you get the OEM style plug caps for it https://4into1.com/ngk-spark-plug-resistor-cover-120-degree-vd05f/

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Making some progress.
HT leads were rock hard & too short for the correct routing. Got new coils & condensers from Common-Motor, and new VBF plug caps + BR8EIX plugs.
Cleaned up wiring a bit & rerouted the clutch cable. Installed new battery. Starter seems to work fine.

Plan is to get it running & then take it to a bike shop valve adjustment & tuning.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Plan is to get it running & then take it to a bike shop valve adjustment & tuning.
Hopefully the shop you're about to pay high hourly labor rates to actually has knowledge of these vintage engines, and the DOHC 450 in particular. They sure aren't like today's bikes and engines and so many local shops have techs who weren't even born when these were built

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally back to working on the project.

Used a tank liner some time ago. Rats, the crossover tubes are now blocked. Tried opening them up per forum topics on it. No success so far. Not sure what to do about it.

Put the bike back together & got it running.
CL450-FirstStart_1400 by jabcb, on Flickr

Am using inline fuel filters. Looks like a kludge, especially for the right carb. How do you guys route the fuel lines when using inline filters?

Any suggestions on dealing with the blocked crossover tubes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts