Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new member here.

I just picked up a 1971 CL450 the other day that, according to the owner, was 'trash' and 'nobody could fix it'. I had to have it. $50 later, it was in my shop.

His assessment was totally wrong. The bike itself is in pretty okay shape, its just that the engine wouldnt turn over with the kickstarter. Anyways, I tore it all down on friday night and found the problem. At some point, it had swallowed a needle bearing. The cylinder walls are fine, as are the rings, so the only way that it could have gotten in there is through the intake. Anyways, the right piston is toast. Several places around the edge were impacted so severely that the rings wont come out of their grooves.

So. Im having trouble finding replacement pistons, or standard sized rings. This has probably been asked before, but does anyone have any suggestions on where to get them?

A bit of bio about me! Im 22, been riding since I was about 6. Im a poor college student, so that takes up a lot of my time. I live in what used to be a welding shop in a Rustbelt city in Indiana. Its cold, its drafty, the rent is cheap, and my neighbors are an abandoned GM plant and a Coke bottling plant that hasnt been used since they switched over from glass bottles. I love it. Plenty of room for my 2 lathes, my grandfathers mill, english wheel, plus all my 'standard' garage tools. I like motorbikes. A LOT. In addition to my CL450, I also have a '72 CL350, and a 'junk' XS650.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,867 Posts
Welcome to this site
What a great buy. Sorry to say things like pistons in teh UK are really rare. You should be able to get more opportunities in the US. I am sure someone will be able to help you out.
My son who had just completed his Masters in Aerospace Engineering at Surrey University, and would have killed to get a student lodge like you have.
Good for you. Wonderfull facilities and plenty of space too. pity about the heating though, but hey your young and fit he he.
You wont believe ,but in his first year, out of 150 students in the total combined engineering intake, only 2 had seen a lathe and mill, he was one of them.
Love your taste in bikes
Have you any pics we can see of the bike and how it is. Your project would be watched by many for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Znabb said:
Welcome to the site. $50 sounds like a real find. :)
Thanks! Any suggestions on where to get a hold of some pistons? I can find rings and gasket sets, but no pistons.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
RatFink328 said:
Znabb said:
Welcome to the site. $50 sounds like a real find. :)
Thanks! Any suggestions on where to get a hold of some pistons? I can find rings and gasket sets, but no pistons.

Ebay has several sets
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, another question.

Do CLs and CBs have different pistons? The ones im finding on Ebay for 'CB450' motors appear to be lower compression that the one that are in my engine. My pistons have a dome for higher compression and the CB pistons im finding are all flat tops.

Thanks for the help so far!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
All 5-speed 450 engines are the same, and will fit in any 5-speed 450 frame.

The flatter pistons you saw are probably 4-speed items (283 code)..... all 5-speeds use 292 code pistons.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,003 Posts
CB450, 4 speed are the flat dome type and have CB450 cast into them



CB/CL450, 5 speed have 292 cast into them and have a raised dome.



CB500T are similar in appearance to the CB450 K0 pistons, have a flatter dome like the K0 ones and 375 cast into them.



The set, notice the difference in the distance between the piston pin and the top of the piston, 450 and 500T. Left to right, CB500T, CB450 5 speed, CB450 4 speed ;)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
otr002 said:
CB450, 4 speed are the flat dome type and have CB450 cast into them



CB/CL450, 5 speed have 292 cast into them and have a raised dome.



CB500T are similar in appearance to the CB450 K0 pistons, have a flatter dome like the K0 ones and 375 cast into them.



The set, notice the difference in the distance between the piston pin and the top of the piston, 450 and 500T. Left to right, CB500T, CB450 5 speed, CB450 4 speed ;)

Thanks!

I have the 292 pistons. Which isnt good, because I havnt seen any of those on the 'bay.

Tomorrow i'll be calling the Honda dealership near me, as well as Cycle Re-Cycle in Indy. Hopefully they have something!

If anyone here has a set for sale, i would gladly buy them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,061 Posts
RatFink328 said:
Thanks!
I have the 292 pistons. Which isnt good, because I havnt seen any of those on the 'bay.
Tomorrow i'll be calling the Honda dealership near me, as well as Cycle Re-Cycle in Indy. Hopefully they have something!

If anyone here has a set for sale, i would gladly buy them.
Are you looking for standard size new (NOS) pistons or good used ones?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Many times there may be no such markings on 450 pistons.
Sometimes they're marked "ART", with maybe a "2" or some other batch number.
ART was/is a sub producer for Honda, these are "OEM" parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Znabb said:
RatFink328 said:
Thanks!
I have the 292 pistons. Which isnt good, because I havnt seen any of those on the 'bay.
Tomorrow i'll be calling the Honda dealership near me, as well as Cycle Re-Cycle in Indy. Hopefully they have something!

If anyone here has a set for sale, i would gladly buy them.
Are you looking for standard size new (NOS) pistons or good used ones?
Im just looking for either one good used one or a set of good used ones. Standard is preferred. Im not picky, I just want her running again!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top