Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After changing my rear tire I noticed that two out of four of the rear sprocket bolts were loose. I tried tightening them but they just spin in place. Is it possible the bolts are sheared off? What would have caused that if so?
There is a big circlip holding the rear assembly together. How do I get that off and on easily?

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you look at the bolts there is a flat milled on them; which abuts on the sprocket and stops them turning. If you try to tighten the nuts without the bolts pushed down onto the sprocket they will spin...
Auto part Cylinder Steel Hardware accessory Pipe

Reactions: mike07

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Remove the circlip and you can work the rear sprocket off the wheel. Grab the pins on the rear with a pair of vise grips and you can tighten the nut. It's best to take it all apart and clean everything thoroughly then use some red Loctite on the shoulder of the pins and on the threads.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I wouldn't use red loctite unless you never want to get it off. The correct sprocket has a channel Milled that the flats sit in. There are tab washers to keep the nuts from spinning off.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting as I have not seen a sprocket with the indents yet. The original one i replaced years ago didnt have them and neither did the new one. I don't see tabbed washers in the parts layout? Do you mean item #19?

Line art Bicycle part Auto part Bicycle drivetrain part Groupset

I wouldn't use red loctite unless you never want to get it off. The correct sprocket has a channel Milled that the flats sit in. There are tab washers to keep the nuts from spinning off.

·
Registered
635 Posts
No the back of the correct sprocket will have a raised ring for the bolts to fit. Take a picture of the back of your sprocket preferably both sides. Just so you know some Honda sprockets are splined....

Reactions: mike07
1 - 6 of 6 Posts