Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd better get things started on the project page.

CL450 001.jpg

Only had it a couple of days now so I'm making a shopping list and a list of priorities.

First off, I want to get it running to assess the motor and then get the other components etc. sorted. Then I'll work on the cosmetics.

Yesterday I had it hot wired to my other bikes battery and managed to get it turning over on the starter button. All sounded good.

So far I've ordered 2 keys using the lock number and a Motobatt MB12U battery.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a proper tank (the one on it is a CB item) a pair of filter housings and a coil/condensor set which are currently missing.

No other major parts needed yet apart from the front tyre (huge cracks in it) and a front brake switch.

Stand by for more updates and pictures and videos.

motorcycle.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I might have a lead on a factory-paint blue CL450K5 tank if you'd be interested. It's in a friend's stash of used bike parts that he's going to sell all of, I just looked at it a few days ago. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get a price from him. this is the color

1972-honda-cl450k5-david-si.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the offer but I picked one up yesterday. The paint is non existent but it is in good shape with one ding. It comes with a good cap and petcock and most importantly it is very decent inside, needing little more than a vinegar flush.

IMG_20180903_175528.jpg

New battery has arrived this morning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update...

I now have it all (nearly) wired up. Keys work in the lock, new battery installed and most of th e lights working apart from the front brake which is missing the switch.

Air filters are now in place just missing a single carb clamp.

Coil and condensor pack fitted. and after cleaning up the old connections, fitting new plug caps, jiggling the points and cleaning the contact areas, I now have sparks flowing to two spare plugs from my GS850.

I've noticed that the fuel tap (petcock) on the replacement tank has one outlet spout missing. Wondering if I can fabricate something before I rush into purchasing a new one.

Hopefully tomorrow I might have it running for the first time in years.
I'll see if I can manage a 'Cold start' video.

More to come.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replacement petcocks aren't too expensive, but if you have an old one lying around the brass tube can sometimes be pulled out of the old one (carefully) and tapped into the new one as long as it is a good snug fit. Here's a genuine Honda petcock from 4into1.com, a little pricier than the aftermarket stuff

https://4into1.com/genuine-honda-fuel-valve-petcock-16mm-x-1-5mm-16950-292-000-cl175-cb350-cb360t-cb450-cl450/
Thanks again, they're a bit dearer in the UK @£62, though a pattern part is only £26. Are pattern parts any good for our twins?

Fitted my new indicator relay and now have working flashers.
However I noticed some smoke coming from the headlight bowl which turned out to be some shonky wiring on an earth (black and white) wire. Soon sorted that so the fire serivce wasn't needed after all. More work needed with the wiring but that'll come later.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Pattern parts vary, as I'm sure you know. The aftermarket petcocks I've seen can be a great value or they can be junk, so it can be a roll of the dice unless you've bought the part from the source before. FYI, ground (earth) on the 450 and most older Hondas is dark green... the black with white is power to the ignition and runs through the kill switch on the handlebars on those that came equipped

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought I'd give this a bit of an update as I'm back to working on it again. Here's a video to show what I've done so far.
I had a lot of trouble getting to run of both cylinders and the problem turned out to be a faulty new Bosch plug. I replaced it with a rusty old thing that was lying around and it ran pretty well.
replacement tank in place with new petcock and new hoses,
Timing set by eye,
carbs clean and roughly set up,
all electrics working (just),
airfilters fitted,
oil changed,

Today I've been checking the charging system and ordered a new Kohler reg/rec. Also been knocking lumps out of the exhaust system to free off the rusted bolts in the rear heat plate. All the nuts came off the headers apart from one where the sud came out. All studs are now clean and in place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts