Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting together some photos from my ongoing CL450 K2 restoration.

Got it about 25 years ago from a friend for $100.

Ran, but not that well. Had been sitting for years and years before I got it -

The closer I looked, the worse it looked.

Eventually wound up here -

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
You may think that looks rough but it’s much better than some of the bikes I drag home! Looking forward to more pictures and progress on your CL(y)

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
Eventually wound up here -
Eventually with these bikes, we ALL end up there... I did it twice in one year (but I'm glad I did it, the results are worth it). 12ozPBR is right - I've seen some of the bikes he's brought home, you did pretty well. Be glad yours wasn't stored near the Atlantic ocean... :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I have seen some of the projects that are much more difficult than this, and have been amazed at the transformation.

Here are more pictures of the process.

That's about where I'm at right now.

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
Great progress so far. You should convert the steering head bearings to the AllBalls tapered roller bearings while you're there, you'll never have to worry about flat spots affecting the steering again. Are you going into the engine? If so, please get your information from us and don't watch the most prevalent 450 engine disassembly video online, you can build some bad habits that way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have new caged steering head bearings. I have used AllBalls on other cycles, but not this time.

The engine seems fine. 16,000 mi IIRC.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to add this -

Got the new bushing in the swingarm for the shock mounts and pivot. Installation was a lot easier than removal. Also got the sticker with the exhaust info. Was surprised that is available. Lots of parts aren't at this point.

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
Was surprised that is available. Lots of parts aren't at this point.
Welcome to the world of shrinking DOHC 450/500T parts availability... we all suffer from it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On a related note, member 1973GTS posted this vintage CCR video in another thread featuring a CL450K2 -

Fun to see one in action! Wonder if it was Fogerty's personal bike at the time.

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
I'm guessing he could afford one, as then they were well under $1000 - I bought my CL450K4 new in high school for $983 out the door. Wonder where that one is now...? And, I wonder if anyone told him they needed to be warmed up properly when cold to avoid cam and follower damage from running too hard before oil flow got to the top end...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Swingarm with the new bushings installed -

And the simple tool made from 3/8" threaded rod that makes it all work. You need to use a socket that fits inside the swingarm pivot in order to push the inner bushing in far enough to leave room for the felt packing/seal and thrust bushing.

Easier to replace than remove...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Polished-up the rear backing plate -

Not mirror-shine, but pretty sure that's about the right level - but it's hard to know. The bikes in the Honda ads probably had more shine, but those most likely were "photo bikes" and not production models.

Trying not to over-restore it. Won't be a museum piece when done, but it should be decent.

Working on the wheels now. Some rust on the chrome rim and corrosion on the spokes to deal with. Going to try light blasting with plastic media on the inner area of the hub to clean it up. You really can't get in there with anything else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts